British Comedy Guide

surreal comedy Page 2

I agree with Skibb. Not about Boosh being unfunny (I won't comment on them) but about not giving up.

BUT it's a cruel irony for a writer. If you want a commission then you need to pay attention to what commissioners want. It's always been a buyers' market and they won't buy what they don't want.

In the end, it's down to what you want. You can have pure 100% scripts as you envisaged, untouched and also unwatched, sat on a shelf. Or you can bend like the proverbial reed in the wind of the capitalist free market and write what you don't want but improve your chances. We each decide our own path.

I was so getting into Skibbs 'Banish Doubts' section. I'm always plagued by doubts, I get them every day.

Thanks for the encouragement to continue despite the doubts, Skibb. It is great when fellow writers can gee each other up and inspire their peers to continue on. You've made me smile. :)

Skibbington makes some excellent points. Just picking up on one - why do all writers focus on TV so much? Sure that's where the money is at the moment but, as a great man once said, the times they are a changing. It's also a very dificult nut to crack for a newbie.

There's a free, accessible, ready made audience of billions. It's a meritocracy. And you're on it right now ! And what's more if you have success on, yes the INTERNET, you'll more than likely be able to tweak the interest of TV production company/ BBC etc. And when they make the inevitable migration towards new media, as most are doing now, you'll be a good position. A significant few (as in number), including myself, now work full time in 'comedy' writing/ production, having initially plundered their wares on the T'internet.

Good Point Nick, there are also stage shows like The Treason Show and NewsRevue and if you are confident in your delivery theres always stand up.

or approach an up and coming stand up, send a script to an actor, arrange a meeting with a producer, set up a youtube channel.......don't just send a script off blind to a production company and wait 3 months for them to tell you to fck off ! half of a writer's job is marketing yourself. The thing that really irritates me is people saying 'but you have to know someone' - of course you do !!! It's like any industry. People are more likely to give work to people they know and have worked with....so get to know the people. Attend events. take pictures of them naked. blackmail. stalk. just keep up the hussle! Rant over.

Theres also a great site thats running a 'get your script animated' competition. Can't for the life of me remember the name though. :)

http://www.planetgiraffe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11

ho ho, thanks for the plug Adam!

I love Vic Reeves stuff but I really couldn't explain why.

Good surreal comedy has to come naturally - you can't try to write it. It just happens.

I think then if something is genuinely surreally funny then they couldn't turn it down.

Quote: David Chapman @ July 10, 2007, 11:50 PM

I love Vic Reeves stuff but I really couldn't explain why.

Good surreal comedy has to come naturally - you can't try to write it. It just happens.

I think then if something is genuinely surreally funny then they couldn't turn it down.

I love Vic & Bob too. I know what you mean with the natural surreality, because next to Vic, Bob sometimes feels forced. But I still love Bob and in Catterick they both shined brilliantly.

Talking about Vic and Bob, why are they ignored so much now by TV Producers ?

Kent, you're going to have to change that avatar.

Their Livings Carpets were a gem

Make it smaller you mean, great idea, now how is it done ?

You just have to find a smaller pic, I'm not sure how you actually resize it?

As I said living carpets were excellent

My Dad died in a tragic Penicillin accident outside Hedgeley Under Lyme

What is living carpets?

And welcome to the boards :)

Why not make an introduction thread - https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/forum/6

We're all very nice people here :D

Vic and Bob sitting on the stage with pieces of carpets over their faces telling each other ludicrious stories such as " My Wife is responsible for colouring in all the red and yellow bits in pilau Rice ". The other one would say " You lying get " and so on. Great stuff that might lose something in translation

Just looking at your website Leevil. Do you need much techno knowlegde to put that together ?