British Comedy Guide

The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 28

This has got to be in my "top 5 clips" on The IT Crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQ6Z-HmAqY&feature=channel

Quote: Ben @ December 21 2008, 3:51 PM GMT

I suffer from that too. I only got into The IT Crowd a few months back and laughed like a madman at series 1/2. My expectations were probably too high. Similar thing happened with Peep Show series 3.

Honestly, I think Peep Show series 3 is just universally recognized as not being the show's high point. Meanwhile I think they got back in the game with series 4.

But back to IT Crowd, after I spent nearly two hours with a friend quoting and recalling the funniest bits of the last episode, I'm pretty sure it's the best one of the series. This show does always manage great series finales, though, so I look forward to what they have coming up this week. :)

Quote: sanniberry @ December 22 2008, 9:02 PM GMT

Honestly, I think Peep Show series 3 is just universally recognized as not being the show's high point.

Must be true then.

I thought this last episode dragged a bit, and could have done with a storyline that wasn't about the social networking website. It only really came alive when Matt Berry popped up for no real reason than to remind you it's much funnier with him in.

I thought it got a bit tedious with the website, I thought it would be funnier than it was but still a good episode.

Something that's just started to annoy me about this show... the silent scenes played out whilst the credits scroll aren't nearly as funny as they should be. The IT Crowd seems to just lazily re-use a bit of the episode, rather than craft beautiful silent gags like Lead Balloon used to (before the BBC's bloody credit squeeze guidelines forced them to stop).

Still, not a bad episode over-all. The Joker sight gag was good!

Well said Mark, I agree with most of those comments myself, especially the credits with the builder in Jen's house.

On the flip side, I love Lead Balloon (grows on me more and more with each episode - but I'll save that for the other thread)

Quote: Mark @ December 24 2008, 1:04 AM GMT

Something that's just started to annoy me about this show... the silent scenes played out whilst the credits scroll aren't nearly as funny as they should be. The IT Crowd seems to just lazily re-use a bit of the episode, rather than craft beautiful silent gags like Lead Balloon used to (before the BBC's bloody credit squeeze guidelines forced them to stop).

Still, not a bad episode over-all. The Joker sight gag was good!

Yeah, I was thinking that too. You sit through the credits just in the hope that there'll be one more funny bit, but so far they've all been lame.

Quote: David H @ December 20 2008, 12:49 PM GMT

Had given up on this, but caught the last ten minutes last night. It's probably better than what's out there but it's several levels below a good show. Have to echo what Godot said earlier about the writing. It's first draft stuff. The dialogue is so basic and lame you'd think it was thought up on the spot.

Sadly true. The friendface episode was embarrassing. Linehan has created a brilliant sitcom and helped realise some fantastic character creations in Moss, Jen and Roy but he is now unable to write the show and should hand it over to someone else. Some of the mid period Ted episodes are a bit sloppy, but I think this one is the worst thing I've ever seen with his name on. The whole thing was unbelievably forced, arch and flabby. And as I've said before, he doesn't know enough about his subject. He should take a f**king IT course.

Quote: JuliaC @ December 20 2008, 3:01 PM GMT

Agreed. :)

I really enjoyed last night's episode. Roy's face when Moss slapped him was also priceless!

Unfortunately, that gag - with the actor turning his face straight to camera, shocked expression - was used at the end of 'Moss and the German' last series.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 24 2008, 11:25 PM GMT

Unfortunately, that gag - with the actor turning his face straight to camera, shocked expression - was used at the end of 'Moss and the German' last series.

I'd argue that that isn't really a gag though.

Oh well, as expected, the series so far has had great "side splitting" moments and some lame "forced" moments.

Let's hope the final episode is worth the build up!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 24 2008, 11:37 PM GMT

I'd argue that that isn't really a gag though.

It's a staged funny moment. If it had been a slap in The Bill (for example) it wouldn't have been done that way.

In my view anything that is staged to get a laugh in a show is a gag.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 25 2008, 3:43 AM GMT

It's a staged funny moment. If it had been a slap in The Bill (for example) it wouldn't have been done that way.

In my view anything that is staged to get a laugh in a show is a gag.

We disagree? I'm astonished!

I'll probably come back and edit this but I laughed so hard at tonight's episode the only drawback was there wasn't much of Moss until the end. Chris O'Dowd was on top form though.

+ Sexy, sexy, sexy ladies. Cool

Not one of the best episodes this series, but still funny. Why so little Moss though? Why?! Felt quite low key for an end of series episode.