British Comedy Guide

Cash - where to invest? Page 3

Still nice I have minimal brains with regards to finance or IT, so I suspect life of poverty awaits.

That is unless one of my God awful sketch pilots catches someone's eye.

Quote: sootyj @ December 23 2008, 6:26 PM GMT

That is unless one of my God awful sketch pilots catches someone's eye.

Not the one you plan to wrap round a brick I hope?

You think I made of brick money?

It's sitcom or no.

Under the patio with the corpses...

Quote: sootyj @ December 23 2008, 8:54 PM GMT

You think I made of brick money?

It's sitcom or no.

Well if you get somewhere be sure to open a back door for me will you? (shalom ;))

Quote: Pete @ December 23 2008, 6:24 PM GMT

Also - would making my own pilot help? I assumed producers would think I was trying to be a bit of a smart arse if I rolled up with a "finished product".....it would be like Brent making his own video after he was sacked from Slough!

A better metaphor for making your own pilot would be Ricky Gervais and The Office. I'm pretty sure no one would have touched that show on the script alone.

Quote: Pete @ December 23 2008, 10:53 AM GMT

Deflation, unemployment, repossessions are all on the cards (and will screw the housing market for a while yet) but there's nothing (I can see) round the corner to provide a shock for the markets that they can't already see coming, and therefore factor into current prices.

Therefore there's cheaper housing to buy for a cash buyer and more people looking to rent.

Quote: Pete @ December 23 2008, 5:05 PM GMT

Your suggestion that savings rates are no good is irrelevant as he asked to invest not save and there is NO CHANCE that a UK bank will go bust and you'll loose your money (not a hope in HELL).

But how much could someone earn in interest at the moment?

Btw, hope you're remembering to set aside enough for tax purposes Pete :)

Quote: Pete @ December 23 2008, 6:24 PM GMT

Sootyj, Nov was a good month, they aren't all like that....and I don't like to work in the summer much so if I make half that I'm lucky.

Also - would making my own pilot help? I assumed producers would think I was trying to be a bit of a smart arse if I rolled up with a "finished product".....it would be like Brent making his own video after he was sacked from Slough!

Not so sure there's a fair few who got their stuff spotted and then produced.

Trisha seems to be the famous example.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 24 2008, 10:46 AM GMT

Btw, hope you're remembering to set aside enough for tax purposes Pete :)

Given that that's his business (as in work, not "mind your own"), I'm fairly sure he's aware of the taxes he has to pay.

Quote: Aaron @ December 24 2008, 12:40 PM GMT

Given that that's his business (as in work, not "mind your own"), I'm fairly sure he's aware of the taxes he has to pay.

Hence the wry smile.

And here's a festive one for you :)

*Googles 'wry'*

Ah, I see. Charming.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 24 2008, 10:46 AM GMT

A better metaphor for making your own pilot would be Ricky Gervais and The Office. I'm pretty sure no one would have touched that show on the script alone.

No, but it was a self made show that (by the time people were looking at it properly) stared an actor who had already been in a sitcom pilot, a sketch show and his own chat show.

He'd had quite the career before The Office.

I was trying to say that the filmed pilot/short film Gervais and Merchant made sold the concept of the show better than the script alone (because the dialogue is naturalistic and has no gags as such it comes to life in performance) - regardless of Gervais' previous CV.

I think Peter Serafen...Serafenovit...Seraofeno....that bloke from Look Around You's sketch show was also picked up after he made his own sketches and put them on YouTube.

The original YouTube sketches weren't produced with a view to making a show though. I can't think of any other such examples of commissionings off the back of similar productions? *strokes chin*

I'd bury my 50K in the garden.