British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 14

Alright shit-munchers. Just thought I'd flag up a few things of interest, to me if nobody else:

R4: Mon 15th. 2.15pm Afternoon Play: Wodehouse in Hollywood.

R4: Tue 16th 11.30am I was Douglas Adams' flatmate.

R4: Tue 16th 2.15pm Afternoon Play: How to be an internee with no previous experience. (Another Wodehouse play).

John we seem to have very similar tastes. Not only Robyn Hitchcock but Wodehouse too. I'm a Wodehouse nut (there are four PGW biographies on my shelves plus endless books by the man himself) so thanks for pointing those out! I will definitely be tuning in.

Yeah, I've just started on 'Aunts Aren't Gentlemen'. Seemingly one of the latter Jeeves/Wooster. Not that I would have been able to tell without looking at the date, mind.

Sometimes the only way to tell is by the book that Bertie is reading. He seems to move towards away from detective thrillers and towards sci-fi in the later novels. I think Aunts is the last J&W novel? (goes to check... yes it's not only the last J&W but the last novel he ever completed.)

Nice tip! Cheers Griff, I shall look out for that trend.

I really enjoyed The Unbelievable Truth Christmas Special, especially the flight of fancy involving David Mitchell just wearing stockings to greet Father Christmas. After a shaky start, this show has really found its feet.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 15 2008, 11:48 AM GMT

R4: Mon 15th. 2.15pm Afternoon Play: Wodehouse in Hollywood.

This was excellent. Tim McInnerny was fantastic as Wodehouse.

Listened to the last few News Quizes which were very funny and am most of the way through Fabulous series 2 by Lucy Clarke. This is very good -- I like it lots (though if it were a book it would be pastel-coloured with curly writing on it) and was a big fan of series 1.

And whilst we're mentioning current radio comedy, Sunday night on Radio 7 is episode 4 of Play & Record -- far and away the best episode of the series. Ahem, it might just contain my radio sketch-writing debut, so I am less than impartial in that opinion...

Dan

Great to see Laura Solon's Talking and Not Talking get repeated in the 6:30 slot. She's not quite as great as some people make out, but this is still a very good show with some inspired moments.

In the 11pm slots last night I heard The Cornwell Estate, and The Ladies. The Cornwell Estate was a Phil Cornwell vehicle, with him playing characters from an estate, while The Ladies was a sketch show in a ladies' public toilet. I loved the concept of this more than the actual comedy itself, and it had me kicking myself that I never came up with Gents.

I liked both just enough to make me listen next week, so good for them.

Enjoyed the Christmas special of Genius last night. And despite featuring comedy lightweight Lee Mack, it did deliver a fair few laughs, mainly thanks to Dave Gorman. Another solid Radio R4 show.

Quote: chipolata @ December 23 2008, 10:47 AM GMT

Enjoyed the Christmas special of Genius last night. And despite featuring comedy lightweight Lee Mack, it did deliver a fair few laughs, mainly thanks to Dave Gorman. Another solid Radio R4 show.

And another radio show soon to come to TV.

Yep, me and Swerytd had something on the 21st Dec episode of play and record. Hurrah! I wrote the opening sketch (if anyone can be bothered to go to listen again). I know what Swerytd wrote but don't know if I should say what it was (without his permission).

Self promotion (I guess) but series 2 of p and r starts next week and I PROBABLY have some stuff on.

'Shut up, Yacob!' At once.

Yeah I'm also hopeful to have something in this Sunday's Play And Record but don't know for sure until broadcast...

Quote: Yacob Wingnut @ December 23 2008, 11:15 AM GMT

Yep, me and Swerytd had something on the 21st Dec episode of play and record. Hurrah! I wrote the opening sketch (if anyone can be bothered to go to listen again). I know what Swerytd wrote but don't know if I should say what it was (without his permission).

Self promotion (I guess) but series 2 of p and r starts next week and I PROBABLY have some stuff on.

'Shut up, Yacob!' At once.

Cheers Yacob. Mine was the 'Ambulance Chasers' advert sketch. The 'Have you been injured filming a commercial...'. The one where no-one laughs. Probably explains why I don't have anything on P&R series two, coming to a Radio 7 near you this Sunday.

Good luck to you and Griff with the sketches!

Dan