British Comedy Guide

Cash - where to invest? Page 2

I'd buy Woolworths. Don't know what I'd do with the other £49,999.50 though

Laughing out loud

The market is cheap at the moment with everyone selling so if it was going to be left for 10 years or so a Tracker Fund would be a good bet (something like Legal and General) However if you wanted to get your hands on it in the next year or so, avoid the market, and put the money in a high interest account. Look at moneysupermarket.com.

Personally I would stay away from property.

Wow, someone posted something serious. Will the board explode?

Blushing now. That was a tad serious, wasn't it.

Most equity funds will be up by this time next year. You have to assume most markets are already reflecting any likely economic depression to come next year and will, thus, start to reflect a recovery during 2009 even though the economy as a whole may not show such signs until 2010 or 11.

I have just put my December pay (which was a similar size to the posters fund) into UK equities and am quite happy it will yield good results over the next couple of years.

Interestly, my relatively good December was a result of clients wanting to get into the markets in mid/late November which is a sign that those with a bit of money are feeling more confident than at earlier times in the year.

Deflation, unemployment, repossessions are all on the cards (and will screw the housing market for a while yet) but there's nothing (I can see) round the corner to provide a shock for the markets that they can't already see coming, and therefore factor into current prices.

Quote: Griff @ December 23 2008, 12:02 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

(I wonder what Loadsamoney's up to nowadays?)

I still think that for a long term investment property is a pretty good bet. The market has lows (like the late 80s, early 90s) but stay with it and tends to pay off, if you buy wisely. I don't think the interest rates on savings are very good at the moment and then there's always the chance that a bank will go bust and you'll lose your investment. I know far more people who have made good money from property (more than their own home) as opposed to simply having savings.

The housing market will pick up again around 2015, according to a surveyor I met called Dick.

I'd spend a good deal of it on booze, drugs and dirty women. And the rest of it I'd just waste.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 23 2008, 4:27 PM GMT

I'd spend a good deal of it on booze, drugs and dirty women. And the rest of it I'd just waste.

Agreed.

Buy an old boat, do it up and call it Misty Lady

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 23 2008, 1:37 PM GMT

I still think that for a long term investment property is a pretty good bet. The market has lows (like the late 80s, early 90s) but stay with it and tends to pay off, if you buy wisely. I don't think the interest rates on savings are very good at the moment and then there's always the chance that a bank will go bust and you'll lose your investment. I know far more people who have made good money from property (more than their own home) as opposed to simply having savings.

Maybe...but the investor has only £50k. The buy to let mortgage market is f**ked at the moment so he's looking at buying a pretty cheap place and dealing with all the hassles that go with it (shitty tenants, upkeep costs, etc, etc) The housing market is also going to be hammered by economic factors that the stock markets will be able to shrug off in 2009....mainly high unemployment and a still stagnant mortgage market.

If his post was "I have £50k and want to get into a high risk investment that will take a lot of my time up and cause me no end of hassle" then maybe you'd be right.

Your suggestion that savings rates are no good is irrelevant as he asked to invest not save and there is NO CHANCE that a UK bank will go bust and you'll loose your money (not a hope in HELL).

£600,000 PA? Pete nice stuff, why not pay to have a professional pilot of one of your scripts made?

It'd cost you about a weeks salary.

A similar work for me would pay for a brick to peg at BBC Centre with my script attached?

Sootyj, Nov was a good month, they aren't all like that....and I don't like to work in the summer much so if I make half that I'm lucky.

Also - would making my own pilot help? I assumed producers would think I was trying to be a bit of a smart arse if I rolled up with a "finished product".....it would be like Brent making his own video after he was sacked from Slough!