British Comedy Guide

Gavin & Stacey Page 42

Much. :)

Quote: Griff @ December 22 2008, 7:13 PM GMT

Not sure I do now.

Anyway, I didn't like Gavin and Stacey and everyone thinks I'm strange, but that is coming from the same people who think Porridge was "a loada aul shite".

I don't think Gavin and Stacey is shit, I just don't think It's a sitcom, just an ok comedy drama. Plus Porridge is in my top 5 of all time.

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 22 2008, 7:41 PM GMT

Anyway, I didn't like Gavin and Stacey and everyone thinks I'm strange, but that is coming from the same people who think Porridge was "a loada aul shite".

Both are very good indeed, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 22 2008, 7:48 PM GMT

Both are very good indeed, as far as I'm concerned.

I can see the appeal in it, I wanted to like it so bad because everyone was raving about it but just not my sort of thing.

I caught James Corden on a few panel shows (NMTBC and 8 out of 10 Cats if I recall correctly) and decided to check out this Gavin and Stacey show he's in. By the looks of the first episode, it looked like a sort of peculiar, more comedy-focused and more Welsh version of Cold Feet or something, but I was curious so I kept watching. I finished S1 and went onto watch S2 until it hit me - am I supposed to be laughing? I did occasionally chuckle, and really enjoyed the character of Nessa, but it didn't really provide me sufficient entertainment and I hated James Corden's Smithy (what a prick!) and the mix of comedy/drama just didn't work for me in this one.

I suppose the thing that the show's title characters are the least funny/interesting ones in it is supposed to be a part of the funny, but I just really lacked interest in Gavin & Stacey. It just strikes me as a sort of wasted opportunity to have the show start after they've more or less fallen in love already. I never saw the chemistry develop, so I don't really care for it.

Thrush yeast extract? Is that the Aldi version?

I bet Gavin and Stacey don't eat that.... on topic see....?

Oops nearly forgot.

Laughing out loud

Quote: sanniberry @ December 22 2008, 8:58 PM GMT

I never saw the chemistry develop, so I don't really care for it.

That is a good point.

I care much more about the Smithy/Nessa attraction, cos I've seen it develop.

But isn't that half the point? It's not so much about Gavin and Stacey themselves, as the effects their relationship has on their lives and those around them. We've seen the Smithy/Nessa thing, and the families getting together and all of that malarkey. That's what the show focusses on. No?

I suppose.

But it's ended up that any scene about Gavin and Stacey I just get quite bored in. They're a bit too insipid and whiny.

"Previously she had indicated that the Christmas Eve special may be the end of the series, as she didn't want it to become 'boring and recycled'."

But she decided that's what some people want.

Quote: Aaron @ December 22 2008, 11:58 PM GMT

But isn't that half the point? It's not so much about Gavin and Stacey themselves, as the effects their relationship has on their lives and those around them. We've seen the Smithy/Nessa thing, and the families getting together and all of that malarkey. That's what the show focusses on. No?

Exactly.

Quote: David H @ December 23 2008, 12:24 AM GMT

"Previously she had indicated that the Christmas Eve special may be the end of the series, as she didn't want it to become 'boring and recycled'."

But she decided that's what some people want.

And *yawn*

As I said, I get that that's at least part of the whole show and its "point" but that still means it lessens my enjoyment of the show, which is a shame as any show with the occasional Welsh spoken should be winner by definition. :P

I am looking forawrd to the Christmas special, not sure another series won't just be stretching it a bit much.