British Comedy Guide

Cash - where to invest?

Okay. Suppose you had £50k in cash.

Given the current and foreseeable "crisis", what would you invest in?

Quote: Geoff Mutton @ December 21 2008, 9:01 PM GMT

Walmart :D

I just saw gasoline for sale at $1.29 per gallon at a local station. I'd buy about 50,000 gallons and a storage tank and probably be able to triple my money in less than 2 years. :)

Seriously I would not invest in Walmart. Investing right now is a hard call.

A mountain in the middle of nowhere, a bomb shelter, a well and a shotgun.

And some sheep, food, clothing and companionship.

Quote: sootyj @ December 21 2008, 9:38 PM GMT

And some sheep, food, clothing and companionship.

For the above, just read sheep.

That's just what I meant...

I'd invest in an Undertakers. People always need to be buried, it's one of the only trades that are sure of never running out of work.

Gold mines.

Quote: Aaron @ December 21 2008, 9:52 PM GMT

Gold mines.

Juniors or Majors?

Serious question?

Quote: Geoff Mutton @ December 21 2008, 9:01 PM GMT

Property. For £50k you could get a repossession up north. Rent it out (therefore making an income each month) and sell when it's increased in value - which it will over enough time.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 22 2008, 4:01 PM GMT

Property. For £50k you could get a repossession up north. Rent it out (therefore making an income each month) and sell when it's increased in value - which it will over enough time.

So you'd put all the money in a single asset without thought to letting agents fees, CGT, income tax, current risk, etc, etc?

Quote: DaButt @ December 21 2008, 9:07 PM GMT

I just saw gasoline for sale at $1.29 per gallon at a local station. I'd buy about 50,000 gallons and a storage tank and probably be able to triple my money in less than 2 years. :)

DaButt you stole my idea...

I'll let you off as long as you pay me for guard duty...

Quote: Pete @ December 22 2008, 4:03 PM GMT

So you'd put all the money in a single asset without thought to letting agents fees, CGT, income tax, current risk, etc, etc?

Well a contingency fund would be a good idea if you didn't think you'd be able to pod out for something like a new boiler or service charge during any vacant periods.

If you manage the property yourself (which isn't that difficult if you, say, have some DIY skills, live nearish, etc) you only have to pay a letting agent a one-off fee for finding and vetting tenants. Income tax would onyl come out of your profit, which would take into account furnishing, letting agents fees, etc. Capital Gains Tax doesn't have to paid if you live in the property before you sell, etc.