British Comedy Guide

The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 27

Quote: bighead65 @ December 20 2008, 4:14 PM GMT

Thought last night's episode was really funny, don't understand some people slagging this, simple comedy, simple stories and very funny, what sitcoms were all about I thought.

Prezunctly. :)

Not everyone liked Dad's Army, On The Buses, Only Fools And Horses, but they all ticked the comedy boxes, that is what's missing from comedies today. The IT Crowd is a throw back to the good old days, Gawd bless em!

Quote: bighead65 @ December 20 2008, 4:33 PM GMT

Agree to certain extent, but I think some comedies are obviously funny even if you don't like them, The IT Crowd is one of them.

Yeah but you can't define something as officially 'funny', that everyone will agree on. You can see why some people might find any comedy funny (a few exceptions of course)

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 20 2008, 4:43 PM GMT

Yeah but you can't define something as officially 'funny', that everyone will agree on. You can see why some people might find any comedy funny (a few exceptions of course)

Thing is I'm not fooled by some non audience comedies that playing it straight makes it funny, as much as I like Lead Balloon, The Office and The Visit, there's no way an audience would laugh a tenth of something like Only Fools And Horses, or Dad's Army.

Another great episode last night. The ending wasn't brilliant, but the fake love triangle was fantastic. I still miss Richmond. :(

Quote: bighead65 @ December 20 2008, 4:41 PM GMT

Not everyone liked Dad's Army, On The Buses, Only Fools And Horses, but they all ticked the comedy boxes, that is what's missing from comedies today. The IT Crowd is a throw back to the good old days, Gawd bless em!

2 out of 3 ain't bad . . .

One of my friends described it as "American", which I don't think is quite right, but in the sense that it's a tad more traditional than the shows that deal out drama as well as comedy, contain no live audience reactions ("laugh track"), are mostly filmed out-doors as opposed to in a studio, have some sort of original (or gimmick-y, depending on you ask) central way of presentation (mockumentary ala The Office, first person POV like in Peep Show)..

So it's more 'traditional' in that sense, I'm not sure if "simple" is the right word, but it is certainly funny. A dash of geek humor but not to the extent to cater to purely people who work in IT.

But yeah, top episode all around for me. It's kind of sad the series is over after next Friday.

Quote: sanniberry @ December 20 2008, 7:27 PM GMT

One of my friends described it as "American", which I don't think is quite right, but in the sense that it's a tad more traditional than the shows that deal out drama as well as comedy, contain no live audience reactions ("laugh track"), are mostly filmed out-doors as opposed to in a studio, have some sort of original (or gimmick-y, depending on you ask) central way of presentation (mockumentary ala The Office, first person POV like in Peep Show)..

So it's more 'traditional' in that sense, I'm not sure if "simple" is the right word, but it is certainly funny. A dash of geek humor but not to the extent to cater to purely people who work in IT.

But yeah, top episode all around for me. It's kind of sad the series is over after next Friday.

I agree with you entirely, I didn't mean simple as in easy to write, just doesn't try to complicate the comedy by being too clever. I really enjoy it, and much prefer the good old fashion way of making a sitcom.

Just watched last night's episode and liked it a lot - certainly one of the best of this series. The love triangle was very funny.

Maybe I will hold it in better stance on a 2nd viewing, as I'm sometimes like that with The IT Crowd and other comedies.

I think the main problem could be that I'm expecting too much from Roy, Moss and Jen? ... as the anticipation for every new episode is almost at padded room levels.

Like I say, another look at Ep5 could enhance my initial verdict, but it's still one of the best current comedies ... bar none!!

Cal :)

More of Ross dancing - who wouldn't like that! haha, good episode. The whole FriendFace thing is an interesting commentary on social networking, for what that's worth. But "The Joker" thing was hysterical!

I don't know if this series is more "American" (as mentioned above), but this here American thinks it's one of the best shows on TV right now! This and Outnumbered. I'm passing copies of this around to several of my friends and everyone to a person falls in love with it. (I feel like a drug dealer...) And it's not just I.T. types either.

Quick question, what is that thing that Roy is playing with on the couch at about 9:30 into episode 5? (wow - that question just sounds WRONG, but I'm to lazy to reword it.. haha)

Come on Love, be game!

Quote: Elfman @ December 21 2008, 8:22 AM GMT

Quick question, what is that thing that Roy is playing with on the couch at about 9:30 into episode 5?

http://tenori-on.yamaha-europe.com/uk/

Quote: Aaron @ December 20 2008, 11:35 AM GMT

Really? I'd say the only better episode was S02E01, The Work Outing.

Agreeeeed.

Loved the bit about Moss being seeded, and it was great to see Jen back in plots with Moss and Roy, rather than independent of them.

Quote: SivoxII @ December 21 2008, 12:42 AM GMT

I think the main problem could be that I'm expecting too much from Roy, Moss and Jen? ... as the anticipation for every new episode is almost at padded room levels.

I suffer from that too. I only got into The IT Crowd a few months back and laughed like a madman at series 1/2. My expectations were probably too high. Similar thing happened with Peep Show series 3.