British Comedy Guide

Best depiction of writers in a TV show Page 2

Surprised no on-one has mentioned 40 Rock.

Quote: Timbo @ December 19 2008, 8:02 AM GMT

Surprised no on-one has mentioned 40 Rock.

So close, but never commissioned...

;)

Dan

What about Daisy, in Spaced?

Quote: catskillz @ December 19 2008, 1:18 PM GMT

What about Daisy, in Spaced?

Good call, and probably one of the more accurate representations.

"Bogelling to f**king Aswad!"

Not TV again, but you have to admit it's a classic ...

"Throw Momma off the Train" - the movie, not an offer ;)

The beginning

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L3GBQZOPDPg

and

The end

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NzQBVvqMOXU

Happy Whatever-You-Celebrate Everybody (or just have a good hols!)! :D

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ December 18 2008, 11:23 PM GMT

Me three. I loved that show. Is it not coming back then?

It cost HUGE amounts (even by US standards) and was a bit too up its self (even by Sorkin standards)

I've just remembered, Mark in Joking Apart was supposed to be a comedy writer (and performer). Divorce, metal breakdown etc etc... not the best of lives!

When I first started writing, I came up with an ending to a script, that was identical to the Throw Momma From The Train ending, ie two characters having written books about their experiences, with one being a Pop-up version. I still find it hard to believe, but it was a genuine coincidence, as I had never seen the end of the film before.

Don't Forget to Write.

1970's BBC comedy drama series.

George Cole great as miserable playwright constantly outshone by successful rival Frances Matthews, with Gwen Watford as his long-suffering wife.

Quote: Griff @ December 24 2008, 4:23 PM GMT

I know it's not TV, but the best writer ever in the world of comedy is Ed Reardon from Ed Reardon's Week.

I almost mentioned him, but I didn't want to get in trouble for going off-thread! He's great, and I love his agent too.

Also on radio, I used to like The Small Intricate Life of Gerald C Potter with Ian Carmichael, though when I re-listened to it recently on BBC7 it had dated badly.

I think the most accurate portrayal was Patrick Cargill in Father dear Father.

I always thought 'Marc P Rides Again' was quite good.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 2 or is it 3? The one where Larry is trying to get his new series comissioned and gets Jason Alexander on board for a while...and then gets Julia Louis Dreyfus.

Also Seinfeld Season 4, hilarious season focused on Jerry and George trying to make a pilot for their NBC sitcom.

Quote: Griff @ December 24 2008, 4:23 PM GMT

I know it's not TV, but the best writer ever in the world of comedy is Ed Reardon from Ed Reardon's Week.

Oh, yes, good point! He's a perfect fit isn't it. Love Ed's penny pinching ways.

Quote: Ben @ December 24 2008, 5:26 PM GMT

I always thought 'Marc P Rides Again' was quite good.

Not with these farmers!

:)