British Comedy Guide

The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 24

I didn't like this episode much at all, I've loved the previous two series of IT crowd but this one really hasn't grabbed me at all. The writing seems lazy and the jokes very contrived. I really hope it picks up again but I'm not holding out too much hope.

Quote: sanniberry @ December 15 2008, 10:40 PM GMT

So what you're really trying to say is how come we see quality in something that simply isn't quality?

Yes. I'm curious. But it's nothing to do with any imagined 'superiority'. That is is the origin of my confusion - I would say we all have a reasonably well placed comedy antenna on here, so when there's such a discrepancy it's curious. Remember people aren't saying this is a good episode, they're saying it's one of the very best - and in Mark's case the second best of all sixteen. Whilst I thought it was self-parodying.

Loved the fight scene in the last episode, fantastic!!!!! ... but the sad part was, they KILLED THE INTERNET!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 16 2008, 2:30 AM GMT

Yes. I'm curious. But it's nothing to do with any imagined 'superiority'. That is is the origin of my confusion - I would say we all have a reasonably well placed comedy antenna on here, so when there's such a discrepancy it's curious. Remember people aren't saying this is a good episode, they're saying it's one of the very best - and in Mark's case the second best of all sixteen. Whilst I thought it was self-parodying.

Godot, it really is a question of taste, I would say. A lot of people obviously greatly enjoyed it whilst it left you cold; it's comedy, comedy can do that. Where as one person laughed their arse off, you perceived an apparent lack of quality. Comedy is in the eye of the beholder, and all that; I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

I agree the Iran/man joke was lame, infact the whole plot with him and the girl was lame... However, Matt Berry is hilarious and therefore it managed to work. Honestly the guy has flawless delivery, it's hilarious.

That said, as much as I like him, it's getting a bit out of place. I don't mind him having a starring role if it's while relating to Moss/Roy/Jen, but this sort of completely unrelated side story is quite out of place and sort of ruining the feel of the show a bit.

Edited by Aaron.

I thought the last one was one of the best episodes of the series. True the Iran/Man confusion never made sense but the rest of the story was funny IMO.

Quote: Mark @ December 15 2008, 3:28 PM GMT

Just to add to the chorus - I thought Friday's episode was definitely the best of the series. Probably second best overall in fact (only beaten by last season's musical theatre trip). I can't quite place my finger on why I liked this more than previous ones though.

I think there was a good balance of stories for the main characters and no one was left out. Occasionally it isn't so well laid out. But only very occasionally.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 17 2008, 12:43 PM GMT

I thought the last one was one of the best episodes of the series. True the Iran/Man confusion never made sense but the rest of the story was funny IMO.

Agreed :D

I'm surprised people are getting so worked up over Iran/man. Yes there are stronger rhymes, but given what we know of the character and his self-interest and attention span, it's spot on.

Quote: Aaron @ December 17 2008, 1:02 PM GMT

I'm surprised people are getting so worked up over Iran/man. Yes there are stronger rhymes, but given what we know of the character and his self-interest and attention span, it's spot on.

Worked for me too.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Iran/Man thing until I read this thread.

'I used to be a man'

Easily confused with; "I'm from Iran".

And the line about having had loads of operations and hormone therapy could easily be confused with a complaint about the length of the check-in queue for example or the turbulence of the flight.

Quote: zooo @ December 17 2008, 3:40 PM GMT

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Iran/Man thing until I read this thread.

There isn't anything wrong with it, in the context of the style of show this is; it's picky people being picky.

Spot on.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 17 2008, 3:47 PM GMT

There isn't anything wrong with it, in the context of the style of show this is; it's picky people being picky.

I don't think I'm picky. Oh and... 'of THE show this is' :P

I agree totally. I think people are judging it as a joke in its own right, instead of just indicating aspects of Doug's personality. That probably only makes sense to me, but what I mean is, people seem to be seeing it as a 'gag' that Linehan saw as funny and could have given to any character.