British Comedy Guide

I am an atheist... Page 3

Well, he's got a face, two hands and he's ticked off (groan)...

I'm an atheist. It almost cost me my best friend. He asked me to be Godfather to his son and I refused because I thought it would be hypocritical of me to go into a church and promise to bring the child up as a believer in Christ and all that other church stuff. He understood me in the end, but was still a little pissed off.

Better than being a hypocrite, I suspect that would have caused more heart ache further down the road.

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2008, 11:38 PM GMT

Better than being a hypocrite, I suspect that would have caused more heart ache further down the road.

Christmas would have to have to have always been about Jesus for an atheist to be a hypocrite for celebrating on December 25th.
Either way, who's the real hypocrite me or the Christian who spends a small fortune making their homes look like this:

but not spending a dime on the poor.

I think I can feel the tumor from those lights.

Quote: Gavin @ December 15 2008, 10:02 AM GMT

I think I can feel the tumor from those lights.

They told me it was Jesus' love.

So Jesus love is up the wrong un and a abnormal growth of cells, he really does get every where.

Don't worry, Christmas has little to do with Christianity any way. Most of the ideas of what we now know as Christmas were stolen from Pagan rituals to help propegate the faith in ye old days.

And a bit of hypocrisy makes the world go round.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 15 2008, 10:11 AM GMT

Don't worry, Christmas has little to do with Christianity any way. Most of the ideas of what we now know as Christmas were stolen from Pagan rituals to help propegate the faith in ye old days.

That is what I listened to about last night. It was a docu, very interetsing.

Well all religion is theft.

Monotheist ideals were invented by Plato and nicked by Jews, Muslims and Christians.

Which is annoying because if you read his initial ideas on faith, they're far sharper than reams and reams of stories about; tablets, fish and plagues.

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 14 2008, 11:27 PM GMT

I'm an atheist. It almost cost me my best friend. He asked me to be Godfather to his son and I refused because I thought it would be hypocritical of me to go into a church and promise to bring the child up as a believer in Christ and all that other church stuff. He understood me in the end, but was still a little pissed off.

To be some kids godparent I didn't think it mattered if you were religious. It's just a token thing to all but the most devout.

Quote: chipolata @ December 15 2008, 1:40 PM GMT

To be some kids godparent I didn't think it mattered if you were religious. It's just a token thing to all but the most devout.

I agree.

Re: original question:

Of course it's hypocritical, but, what's wrong with being hypocritical

I'm an atheist too and for it, I am going straight to hell!