British Comedy Guide

I am an atheist... Page 2

Ew. Turkey.

Careful zooo. "People I love"? That's not very British.

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2008, 8:22 PM GMT

I'm a humanist I believe in the humane and selfless elements of religious faith. Of which I haven't really seen copied in the aetheist world.

Are you literally a humanist Jew?

But I don't believe in God as described by religion or as comprehensible by humanity.

Religion does not say that God is comprehensible by humanity. Just out of interest, have you ever looked into mysticism?

Er... people I quite like!

Quote: oldcowgrazing @ December 14 2008, 8:24 PM GMT

Yeah but Soots wouldn't you rejoice if you got an airmac for Christmas? ;)

Who from?

I don't know any one who'd want to buy me one as a random display of affection.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 14 2008, 8:30 PM GMT

Are you literally a humanist Jew?

Religion does not say that God is comprehensible by humanity. Just out of interest, have you ever looked into mysticism?

Mysticisim from a monoehteist/humanist point of view is the closest I've found to spiritual satisfaction. Have you tried it?

And yes I am culturally Jewish, but spiritually more of a humanist. I keep meaning to try Quakerism and getting cold feet.

Quote: zooo @ December 14 2008, 8:30 PM GMT

Er... people I quite like!

Better.

Unless it's "the man I love". Whistling nnocently

Quote: zooo @ December 14 2008, 8:25 PM GMT

I'm definitely thinking about Satan and worshipping his firey red hooves while I'm giving presents to the people I love, eating turkey and putting up fairy lights.

Satan in most religious is the urge towards unthinking, selfishness.

Red hooves and such like are modern bits like Santa, for the religiously illiterate.

Merry Christmas sooty.

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2008, 8:22 PM GMT

I'm a humanist I believe in the humane and selfless elements of religious faith. Of which I haven't really seen copied in the aetheist world.

Sootster... what is the "aetheist world" of which you talk? By its nature, atheism is not showy - it doesn't have all the symbols and ceremony associated with religion - but that doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of humane and selfless atheists out there, does it? It's just that they are more anonymous surely.

Sorry what I meant was in terms of a framework for practice.

For most atheists there is no framework. It's just an absence of religion.

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2008, 8:40 PM GMT

Satan in most religious is the urge towards unthinking, selfishness.

Red hooves and such like are modern bits like Santa, for the religiously illiterate.

Bullshit. At least satan doesn't go all psycho on our arses if we dare worship another god. He'll just shrug and go "oh well plenty more where that came from". Tell you what at least satan's got a sense of humour. God takes itself too seriously, it needs to lighten up*.

* I am atheist so that post makes as much sense as the bible.

*Wanders off to I Want One of Those dot com in search of some fun prezzies for colleagues*

Well religion actually has very little to do with God or even worship.

But more to do with social responsibility, charity and tithing money/time to good deeds.

I suppose the closest I saw were green networks and timebanks.

Quote: oldcowgrazing @ December 14 2008, 8:54 PM GMT

Bullshit. At least satan doesn't go all psycho on our arses if we dare worship another god. He'll just shrug and go "oh well plenty more where that came from". Tell you what at least satan's got a sense of humour. God takes itself too seriously, it needs to lighten up*.

* I am atheist so that post makes as much sense as the bible.

It's rarely God that does that, it's usually man.

Poor old God doesn't half get a stick for alot of things man does.

Quote: sootyj @ December 14 2008, 8:57 PM GMT

Well religion actually has very little to do with God or even worship.

But more to do with social responsibility, charity and tithing money/time to good deeds.

I suppose the closest I saw were green networks and timebanks.

It's rarely God that does that, it's usually man.

Poor old God doesn't half get a stick for alot of things man does.

I agree.

This is very surreal. Rolling eyes

Why I can't be wrong all the time.

A stopped clock tells the correct time twice a day.

Who says you're as clever as a stopped clock?