British Comedy Guide

The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 22

I think I said somethingalong those lines.

An Excellent Episode..

Whilst I think that Linehan is probably the most complete sitcom writer in many ways, and series 1/Ep.1 is a masterclass in how to write a pilot, I'm really troubled by the constant flabbiness of the writing now. It's only 22 minutes long but there's still more filler than Simon Cowell's smile. Series 2 +3 would distill nicely to one perfect series. The man/Iran joke was super lame - worse than the 'Peter File' joke from last year - and the 'internet' joke is basically a retread of the 'break the internet joke' from last year. The performances are still stellar and the show is so loveable it seems churlish to criticise it - but I don't know why he didn't get some more writers in.

Wonderful episode. My favourite so far. Loved the Internet bit. Good to have an IT related episode. I also thought the sub plot was better too. I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing Noel Fielding this series, but it was good to hear what happened to Richmond! :D

Great episode last night!

Probably my favourite of the series so far. Other episodes have had me laughing harder in places but this episode seemed to be more consistently funny. Quite a simple idea but very funny. Reminded me of the time that a friend and I persuaded someone to believe that to get the best broadband connection you have to wrap your broadband cable around a tree

Quote: earman2009 @ December 13 2008, 1:51 PM GMT

I think it's fair to say we won't be seeing Noel Fielding this series, but it was good to hear what happened to Richmond! :D

Must have missed that bit. What was it?

He got scurvy

Ah. Well let's hope he doesn't recover.

Fantastic episode. While I didn't think the man/Iran joke was all that great, something about Matt Berry's performance in that storyline made it work for me. I loved the internet prank, too. It's nice to have a little bit of geek humor in the show, though I think it's even better when the geekiness is less about dropping geeky references than about geeks being socially awkward. Both kinds work but it's nice to have a bit of other stuff in the show as well.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 23 2008, 11:53 AM GMT

Huh? That's like saying it'll never be as good as Spinal Tap. The two are unrelated; Linehan didn't write Darkplace, it just so happens that some of the actors appeared in both shows.

Yes but the actors are playing almost identical parts as they did in Darkplace!

Quote: Tom G @ December 13 2008, 8:03 PM GMT

Yes but the actors are playing almost identical parts as they did in Darkplace!

Ayoade - no.

Berry - maybe. But I think in Darkplace I gave Ayoade and Holness credit for making Sanchez quite a believable (in telly terms) character. He's very much the smooth sidekick that you'd imagine Merenghi would dream up. In reality I think the character - same with Douglas - is more down to Berry's bombastic personality and style.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 13 2008, 8:09 PM GMT

Ayoade - no.

Berry - maybe. But I think in Darkplace I gave Ayoade and Holness credit for making Sanchez quite a believable (in telly terms) character. He's very much the smooth sidekick that you'd imagine Merenghi would dream up. In reality I think the character - same with Douglas - is more down to Berry's bombastic personality and style.

Yep, Ayoades character is very different. Matt Berry is, well, Matt Berry! Though he's definitely more Matt Berry then he was in Darkplace, if that makes any sense; he's been allowed to dial it up even further.

I think in the IT Crowd he's much more similar to Dixon Bainbridge from The Boosh, than he is to his Marenghi character.

Quote: zooo @ December 13 2008, 8:29 PM GMT

I think in the IT Crowd he's much more similar to Dixon Bainbridge from The Boosh, than he is to his Marenghi character.

Yep.

'Left him feeling crushed - like crisps under bison...'