British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,676

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2008, 12:46 PM GMT

Even dreck like Admin.

Very good boy!

I'm liking you today, chip. :)

And hey 'Facts, I was sticking up for your bloody show! Have a go at the ones rubbishing it!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 1:00 PM GMT

And hey 'Facts, I was sticking up for your bloody show! Have a go at the ones rubbishing it!!

Surely he can't take on an entire viewing public?

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2008, 1:02 PM GMT

You are just on FIRE!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 1:03 PM GMT

You are just on FIRE!

I am. But I'm off now to do some work. Wave

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 12:58 PM GMT

With the gimmick of having kids performing them.

Right, so Smack The Pony was a gimmick because the core cast was women? Green Wing because it had that stupid slow/fast edit?

What commissioners need is something to make the show stand out. And I think 'gimmick' is a bit patronising. It's more than that. It's something new and different.

To me gimmick suggest something calculated and very much 'Oh, lets do this ofr the sake of it' when that wasn't the case.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 12:59 PM GMT

Surely the hearing the inner-thoughts of the Peep characters is very central to the show? The camera work plays into that and compliments it. I would say.

Is it? Or is just the writers taking a normal sitcom format (flat mates) and adding something new to it. Or a gimmick, if you will.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 1:00 PM GMT

No no, it's less about the show, more about discussing the merits of gimmicks.

Now look what you've done - the word 'gimmick' sounds funny in my head and has no meaning.

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2008, 1:02 PM GMT

Loads of good reviews, two sell-out runs in Edinburgh and a series commission suggest otherwise.

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2008, 1:04 PM GMT

I am. But I'm off now to do some work. Wave

And I'm going to have my dinner and watch some Louis Theroux on YouTube.

Bye Chip!

Quote: Seefacts @ December 10 2008, 1:07 PM GMT

Right, so Smack The Pony was a gimmick because the core cast was women?

Well, no; but if they were six year old girls, yes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 1:08 PM GMT

Well, no; but if they were six year old girls, yes.

Why no? It must have been one of the first all female sketch shows and that was one of it's big marketing points. So that's a gimmick. Or someone trying something different. Whichever.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 10 2008, 1:08 PM GMT

Is it? Or is just the writers taking a normal sitcom format (flat mates) and adding something new to it. Or a gimmick, if you will.

Adding something new, yes, which is completely central to the whole series and ADDS to the show. I don't see how you can make the comparison between that and just having kids perform sketches. I'm not saying DON'T do it, I'm just saying it is a gimmick, because it is!

How did the kids get together? That's the real teller of whether it's a gimmick or not.

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2008, 1:10 PM GMT

How did the kids get together? That's the real teller of whether it's a gimmick or not.

Some people sat in a marketing office and went 'What can we sell next?' and rubbed his hands.

No, they all went to the same school and a teacher put them together. Simple as that.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 10 2008, 1:09 PM GMT

Why no? It must have been one of the first all female sketch shows and that was one of it's big marketing points. So that's a gimmick. Or someone trying something different. Whichever.

Seefacts, if you honestly think that, then I don't know what to say to you. Pony was a sketch show featuring female performers and ABOUT, mostly, looking at the world from a female perspective. School was just kids performing sketches. Yes, Pony being all female is a selling point fopr the show, but it wasn't a gimmick, to my mind, because of the sort of material they actually presented.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 10 2008, 1:11 PM GMT

No, they all went to the same school and a teacher put them together. Simple as that.

Then it's not a gimmick.

Christ I feel dirty to stand up for them, but it's not a gimmick.

(And there's no need to get pissy. It was a genuine question.)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2008, 1:10 PM GMT

Adding something new, yes, which is completely central to the whole series and ADDS to the show. I don't see how you can make the comparison between that and just having kids perform sketches. I'm not saying DON'T do it, I'm just saying it is a gimmick, because it is!

I just think the word 'gimmick' is unfair, nothing more.

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2008, 1:13 PM GMT

Then it's not a gimmick.

Christ I feel dirty to stand up for them, but it's not a gimmick.

(And there's no need to get pissy. It was a genuine question.)

Wow, I disagree with Aaron; I'm in shock.