British Comedy Guide

The Bird Watchers - Penguins

An idea I had for a series of short sketches about these characters. Thoughts appreciated, cheers!

http://pc.celtx.com/project/thL9UlqNegga

(Click on "The Bird Watchers - Penguins" on the left hand side.)

Morning Lee. It's a good idea. The dialogue is natural and flows. Feels more like a sitcom extract/ web series rather than a sketch. Is that the intention? The claustrophobic set up complemented with some decent character conflict definitely has great comedic potential. On another note, some proof reading wouldn't go amiss e.g "around a tell me something like this?"

Your action also needs a trim. For example:

"Tom gets out his mobile phone and does a sum with its calculator function."

Could easily be:

"Tom calculates the sum on his mobile phone."

You've got good ideas. My worry is they'll be immediately dismissed due to typos/ clunky action.

Cheers Nick. Thanks for the tips, I would definitely benefit with a proof reader. I know this isn't the funniest sketch, but for this draft I wanted to concentrate on the characters and set-up first.

I did imagine it as a web series, something easy to film, ect.

I'll have another crack at it later.

Lee, always look forward to more of yours. I liked it, and see what you mean about ease of filming and character-based, but this section could go without losing any of the meat:

TOM
For 6 months and 2 weeks, I've brought us all Penguin bars to eat, I've kindly shared them with you both and then you go and turn around a tell me something like this?

HARRIOT
Sorry.

TOM
Sorry?! That's...

Read it, omitting that part and you'll see what I mean? Hold on, I'll reprint the part here, with that section omitted.

TOM
Are you serious?

HARRIOT
What's the problem?

Tom calculates the sum on his mobile phone.

TOM
That's 28 Penguin bars, wasted, just wasted!

Yes Mr. A. I see what you mean, works better. Thanks very much! Also change it to 47 bars, funnier number?

Thinking I could make this into an animation, any thoughts? :)

It doesn't really work for me, I'm afraid. It seems a little too linear, there are no real twists or surprises and I'm not sure where the laughs are supposed to be coming from - of course I may have missed the point entirely.

I quite like the set-up though - just feel you need to do more with it.

Bo.

It's just a base, which I hope to eventually keep building on and up. Like I mentioned before, I'm more after the opinion whether the characters and set-up are any good and interesting.

Thanks for the feedback Bo.