British Comedy Guide

Sending a pilot Page 3

Quote: Marc P @ November 26 2008, 1:54 PM GMT

Are you calling me crackers you pipsqueak!!!!!

Marc, you should attack and kill him as brutally as you did that guy in Torn Curtain.

Quote: chipolata @ November 26 2008, 3:21 PM GMT

Marc, you should attack and kill him as brutally as you did that guy in Torn Curtain.

You wanna revise your opinion Mister Facts?

And this from Micheal Jacob.

I think it's best to send a pilot script/first episode, but it should have a proper story, feature all the regular characters of a series, and get on with the plot. Too many first episodes tend to be strong on introduction and light on story, and thus not representative of the rest of the series.

Readers - and audiences - are interested in moving forward with the characters rather than finding out about where they have been.

Quote: Marc P @ November 26 2008, 5:23 PM GMT

And this from Micheal Jacob.

I think it's best to send a pilot script/first episode, but it should have a proper story, feature all the regular characters of a series, and get on with the plot. Too many first episodes tend to be strong on introduction and light on story, and thus not representative of the rest of the series.

Readers - and audiences - are interested in moving forward with the characters rather than finding out about where they have been.

Sounds right to me.

Arsehole-biscuit-chunk-fun...

Just write your pilot. If it's any good you will be asked to revise that script at least 3 times. The 1st episode is traditionally the toughest because you write it before casting/appraisal/director/format et cetera.

Don't worry. If you can get the pilot shot, then you will be sufficiently appreciated that they think you can write at least 5 more episodes.

I would suggest not writing a pilot that reads like a pilot and not writing a second episode that does not stand on its own.

Seefacts, David B and Tim Walker

So from what you've said it sounds like there is very little point in my cracking on with the writing of episode 2 because the pilot is little more than a calling card that will change beyond all recognition if a producer does run with it. Is that correct?

Quote: EmsJones @ November 27 2008, 12:12 PM GMT

So from what you've said it sounds like there is very little point in my cracking on with the writing of episode 2 because the pilot is little more than a calling card that will change beyond all recognition if a producer does run with it. Is that correct?

Don't not write it if you want too, and certainly have at least ideas for the other episodes, but it is very true that more often than not any producer who comes on board will have a huge list of thoughts/demands/ideas which may lead to your pilot changing radically and therefore making any other episodes you've written for the show perhaps redundant. Fun times!

Thanks Matthew.

Quote: EmsJones @ November 27 2008, 12:12 PM GMT

Agree with Matthew. Have an outline of your further episodes but don't bother writing them unless its something you're burning to do.

The frustrating thing for me, is the fact that first episode of my sitcom is easily the most boring of the lot.

In a series, as opposed to a serial, each episode should be capable of standing alone. Think how many shows you have discovered half way through their run. If you pilot is boring, bin it and start at episode two.

Quote: catskillz @ November 27 2008, 11:20 PM GMT

The frustrating thing for me, is the fact that first episode of my sitcom is easily the most boring of the lot.

Then you need to write a new pilot. And it needs to be funny from the off.

Quote: catskillz @ November 27 2008, 11:20 PM GMT

You may as well pick 5 numbers and hope to win the lottery if you're going to write a boring episode, be it pilot or otherwise.

Quote: Timbo @ November 27 2008, 11:26 PM GMT

If you pilot is boring, bin it and start at episode two.

I agree. If even you're not that impressed with your pilot, how do you ever hope to get other people excited about it?