British Comedy Guide

Sending a pilot Page 2

Surely any episode of a traditional sitcom could act as a pilot?

As long as there isn't a overriding arc through the series I agree with you Chip. I have two 'out there' at the moment. One the episode is very clearly the pilot episode as it sets up the theme or the sit, the other could be any episode but could just as easily be the pilot as we hit the ground running, as it were, with it. The set up relationships etc being self evident as the plot unfolds.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 26 2008, 11:46 AM GMT

Not necessarily, but certainly the draft you've sent them is going to be redundant. So why ask for it back?

Oh, I see what you mean.

I'm in the habit of sending manuscripts to publishers/agents where the SAE is expected for the manuscript is always sent back to you if they don't like it. Agents/publishers get so many manuscripts and get fed-up emptying their bins the whole time.

Obviously there are fewer aspiring sitcom writers out there, than there are authors!

I sent a pilot to Writers Room and they suggested any future submissions were not the pilot. I therefore wrote a non pilot episode for my next project and this was optioned by a production co and subsequently taken into development with the BBC with a bit of a re-write. Only then did we decide to write a genuine 'set up' pilot episode.

Quote: Marc P @ November 26 2008, 11:46 AM GMT

How would they know that episode two wasn't the pilot???

It has 'Episdoe Two' on the title page?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2008, 12:26 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2008, 12:26 PM GMT

Do you have a cold Matthew?

Quote: Marc P @ November 26 2008, 1:37 PM GMT

Do you have a cold Matthew?

Or just fat fingers?

Quote: steve by any other name @ November 26 2008, 12:14 PM GMT

I sent a pilot to Writers Room and they suggested any future submissions were not the pilot. I therefore wrote a non pilot episode for my next project and this was optioned by a production co and subsequently taken into development with the BBC with a bit of a re-write. Only then did we decide to write a genuine 'set up' pilot episode.

This makes me want to send episode 2.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ November 26 2008, 1:40 PM GMT

This makes me want to send episode 2.

There are no hard and fast rules, send whichever episode you think best. Personally I'll always show the pilot first, but that's just me.

Yeah but if they decided to make a broadcast episode one off, they'd do the first.

You can't have the reader thinking 'Right, well how do these people know each other then?'. The pilot would show that.

If you watched a random After You've Gone episode you'd be thinking 'Right, why is he living with that old bird?!'. It's not referenced every episode.

Just because it's a pilot, doesn't mean it has to be clunkingly full of exposition to intro everyone. Also, the first one you write will change totally anyway, rendering any further episodes redundant. The producer needs to know the idea is malable and not set in stone by the writer, otherwise they'll be put off.

If you send a pilot it can show that the series is capable of going in many directions and that change can (and will) be made.

Ep 2 just says 'This is how I'm doing it' and producers don't want that, they want something they can put their stamp onto. I wouldn't even write anymore than one episode anyway, it's counter-productive.

I've never had any trouble and I only ever write first episdodes. I wouldn't listen to the Writers Room.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2008, 1:42 PM GMT

There are no hard and fast rules, send whichever episode you think best. Personally I'll always show the pilot first, but that's just me.

Pilot - yes!

Quote: EmsJones @ November 26 2008, 11:43 AM GMT

[quote name="David Bussell" post="315330" date="November 26 2008, 10:58 AM GMT"Besides, the draft you've sent the producer is obsolete the second they show any interest in it.

Thanks seefacts and David.

Obsolete in that they completely rework the whole thing?
[/quote]

Yes, they will do.

In 12 months one of mine changed into what is essentially a totally different script.

Don't get attached to the project, because, a bit like Diana, when it comes out of the tunnel it's looking very different.

I've also had producers tell me to send what I consider the best episode, even if it's not the pilot. Personally I always show the pilot, but there's nothing 'wrong' with showing a different episode if you have it written. As a producer said to me recently, ignore those telling you there is only one way to do anything, there are no set rules, do what feels right to you.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 26 2008, 11:46 AM GMT

Not necessarily, but certainly the draft you've sent them is going to be redundant. So why ask for it back?

Yeah, you're right - it's worth nothing. Bin it.

They'll give you a list of changes as long as your arm (and this is even if they like it) so the original can be binned.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2008, 1:49 PM GMT

I've also had producers tell me to send what I consider the best episode, even if it's not the pilot. Personally I always show the pilot, but there's nothing 'wrong' with showing a different episode if you have it written. As a producer said to me recently, ignore those telling you there is only one way to do anything, there are no set rules, do what feels right to you.

Yeah, the rules aren't set in stone, that's correct. But logically sending a non-pilot seems crackers.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 26 2008, 1:50 PM GMT

Yeah, the rules aren't set in stone, that's correct. But logically sending a non-pilot seems crackers.

To me too.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 26 2008, 1:50 PM GMT

Yeah, you're right - it's worth nothing. Bin it.

They'll give you a list of changes as long as your arm (and this is even if they like it) so the original can be binned.

Are you calling me crackers you pipsqueak!!!!!

:)