British Comedy Guide

Sending a pilot

Further to a letter I have written to a producer, he has requested to see my script. Does one send a SAE in these situations? Or does this suggest lack of confidence on my part?

Can I forget outline for further five episodes as I imagine my ideas for episodes will change and evolve as I write them. Or would producer want to see basic outline for further episodes.

Quote: EmsJones @ November 26 2008, 10:52 AM GMT

Further to a letter I have written to a producer, he has requested to see my script. Does one send a SAE in these situations? Or does this suggest lack of confidence on my part?

Can I forget outline for further five episodes as I imagine my ideas for episodes will change and evolve as I write them. Or would producer want to see basic outline for further episodes.

Don't bother sending the an SAE, unless you really want the script back. If they don't like it, they'll probably bin it.

And don't bother with outlines either - just the script will do.

Have you thought about asking them?

Just an idea...

kjs

I'd leave out the SAE, it's a bit Blue Peter. Besides, the draft you've sent the producer is obsolete the second they show any interest in it.

If they've only asked for a pilot I'd leave it at that. You can always send outlines for further episodes later.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 26 2008, 10:58 AM GMT

I'd leave out the SAE, it's a bit Blue Peter. Besides, the draft you've sent the producer is obsolete the second they show any interest in it.

If they've only asked for a pilot I'd leave it at that. You can always send outlines for further episodes later.

Handsome AND clever. I don't know how you do it.

Though I don't think Blue Peter do stuff by post anymore. It's all by that world web net.

Actually, OP - why not email them the script? I used to deal in hard copy, but the last 2 years everything is by email.

I love that according to this forum I'm handsome. It's not a word that's applied to me in any other facet of my life.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 26 2008, 11:03 AM GMT

I love that according to this forum I'm handsome. It's not a word that's applied to me in any other facet of my life.

You're quite fetching i suppose.

When sending a script to a prod com, is it best to send the pilot or the second script you've written?

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ November 26 2008, 11:11 AM GMT

You're quite fetching i suppose.

When sending a script to a prod com, is it best to send the pilot or the second script you've written?

I'd always send a pilot. That's always the best place to start. If they're going to make it, they might well want to do the pilot first.

Yeah i kind of agree with that. I'm working on a pilot at the moment and didn't know whether to send that or episode 2.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ November 26 2008, 11:28 AM GMT

Yeah i kind of agree with that. I'm working on a pilot at the moment and didn't know whether to send that or episode 2.

Pilot, forget ep 2 for now.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 26 2008, 11:29 AM GMT

Pilot, forget ep 2 for now.

I'm not so sure. If I were you I would send the best script in. Doesn't have to be the pilot.

I think im just gonna work hard on two scripts and as you say, decide on the best and send it off.

[quote name="David Bussell" post="315330" date="November 26 2008, 10:58 AM GMT"Besides, the draft you've sent the producer is obsolete the second they show any interest in it.

[/quote]

Thanks seefacts and David.

Obsolete in that they completely rework the whole thing?

Not that I know any better really, but I'm sure if I was a producer asking for a script and a writer sent me episode 2, I'd be a touch suspicious. At the very least I'd ask to see that pilot, so you're going to have to show your hand sooner or later.

Thanks seefacts and David.

Obsolete in that they completely rework the whole thing?

Not necessarily, but certainly the draft you've sent them is going to be redundant. So why ask for it back?

Quote: David Bussell @ November 26 2008, 11:45 AM GMT

Not that I know any better really, but I'm sure if I was a producer asking for a script and a writer sent me episode 2, I'd be a touch suspicious. At the very least I'd ask to see that pilot, so you're going to have to show your hand sooner or later.

How would they know that episode two wasn't the pilot???