British Comedy Guide

How many of you have full time/part time jobs? Page 15

Quote: Jo Eden @ November 24 2008, 10:32 PM GMT

I took English Lit - doesn't that explain my stupidity?!

Yup. But don't beat yourself up over it. I was equally as stupid.

Frankie, you often go out of your way to state that you hate and never watch television. So why do you visit a site primarily focussed on British TV comedy?

Quote: Marc P @ November 25 2008, 8:43 AM GMT

Yup. But don't beat yourself up over it. I was equally as stupid.

Then I'm another idiot. Though I also did Old Icelandic Literature as well. Surely that's useful for something, aren't employers crying out for Old Icelandic Literature graduates?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 25 2008, 9:38 AM GMT

Then I'm another idiot. Though I also did Old Icelandic Literature as well. Surely that's useful for something, aren't employers crying out for Old Icelandic Literature graduates?

Wow that is way cool. I once wrote a children's book in verse called The White Feather Cloak about a gnome called Borin the Bold which I am sure would have been inspired by old Icelandic saga type literature if I had read any!

:)

Was the book published?

I once wrote a skaldic poem as part of my degree, which uses alliteration instead of rhyme. It was pretty tricky to do and the result was terrible but as I was brave enough to attempt it I got a really good mark for it!

Studying Old Icelandic also meant that I understood the 'nid' gag in MP's The Holy Grail.

If you ever decide to read any, try Njal's Saga (I think Penguin still publish a version translated by Magnus "I've started so I'll finish" Magnusson). The prose style is difficult to get used to at first (it's frankly terrible) but easy to read and the story is incrediable. Basically it's a big revenge - almost gangster - story with sex and violence.

Quote: Aaron @ November 25 2008, 9:31 AM GMT

Frankie, you often go out of your way to state that you hate and never watch television. So why do you visit a site primarily focussed on British TV comedy?

For the warm-hearted moderators?

I work part-time but am finding it harder to make time for writing now that I am.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 24 2008, 11:01 PM GMT

Degrees and jobs are a silly idea anyway.

It would be better to live in a cave and off the land.

You live in a cave for a year or so and let us know how it goes. Wave

I want my TV, Puter and take out delivery.
:D

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 25 2008, 10:29 AM GMT

Was the book published?

I once wrote a skaldic poem as part of my degree, which uses alliteration instead of rhyme. It was pretty tricky to do and the result was terrible but as I was brave enough to attempt it I got a really good mark for it!

Studying Old Icelandic also meant that I understood the 'nid' gag in MP's The Holy Grail.

If you ever decide to read any, try Njal's Saga (I think Penguin still publish a version translated by Magnus "I've started so I'll finish" Magnusson). The prose style is difficult to get used to at first (it's frankly terrible) but easy to read and the story is incrediable. Basically it's a big revenge - almost gangster - story with sex and violence.

Sort of. It was bought by DK and then bought again by part of the Bertelsmen group and published with a computer game based on it!

Oooo - nice illustration! Who is the artist?

Actually that wasn't an illustration from the book as it went out it was done by Harry Venning - before he was famous. The illustrations used were a bit more genteel in keeping with the 'childrens' tone of the book, not to mention the childishness of the writing. But I love that pic, always thought he was a genius and as he did a pic based on my poem I next wrote a poem based on one of his pics!

That pic had me thinking of Noggin The Nog.

I would have loved all that as a kid. What am I talking about, I'm humming the tune from The Vikings in my head right now!

Pulp Noggin!

Actually the style they went with was a little less blood and guts. :)

It had 'evil'. What was the evil element?