British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,639

Word here is that the really cheap, tacky supermarkets are in a better place than the big ones. I'm guessing Tesco are pretty safe though, turning over something ridiculous like £6 million in profit a DAY, or whatever it is now. It's going to be a rocky year or two ahead, but a very interesting one. Should certainly cut back on the small-fry clingers-on businesses and show us where the real consumer power lies.

Quote: Aaron @ November 23 2008, 2:39 AM GMT

I'm guessing Tesco are pretty safe though, turning over something ridiculous like £6 million in profit a DAY, or whatever it is now.

San Antonio is weird - there's only 1 supermarket chain: HEB. Wal-Mart and Target also sell groceries in some of their stores, but HEB is king around here and they're taking the fight to Wal-Mart and Target by selling things like big-screen televisions and the like.

What's the Wal-Mart company in the UK? ASDA? How are they doing?

Yeah, ASDA. It's interesting that they're branded as 'A WAL*MART Company', when the majority of people here wouldn't have the first clue who they are. I'd speculate that it was a half-way step to renaming the chain, but they bought ASDA yeeeeears ago, so would have long done it by now if they were intending to.

As far as I know, they're in a similar position to most of the others. Struggling a bit, but ploughing on. I have a feeling they're the biggest, after Tesco.

How about Marks & Spencer? The stores I've seen while visiting have always impressed me a bit. Not sure if I've just been lucky or if they're all nice.

They're all quite nice in my experience!

Quote: DaButt @ November 23 2008, 3:23 AM GMT

How about Marks & Spencer? The stores I've seen while visiting have always impressed me a bit. Not sure if I've just been lucky or if they're all nice.

They've had a really rough few years. Keep going up and down. I believe they're doing alright at the moment though - and have just opened their first store in Hong Kong, which is going down very well.

What's the strongest UK chain at the moment? What's your favorite UK store that you'd spread around the planet if you had the power to do so?

I heart John Lewis.

And Top Shop. :) They just opened in the US recently.

Strongest UK chain would have to be Tesco, without a doubt.

Quote: zooo @ November 23 2008, 3:44 AM GMT

Looks like they're New York only at the moment. Gotta respect any company that tries to expand in an economy like this ...

And they're extremely pricey too.

Well, for what I'm willing to pay. In their mens' department/spinoff/bit, Topman.

Quote: Aaron @ November 23 2008, 3:48 AM GMT

Strongest UK chain would have to be Tesco, without a doubt.

I don't think I've ever bought much besides beer there, but I thought it was a decent store. I'm still flabbergasted by the way European cashiers sit down and basically act like disinterested parties in the whole transaction, but I guess it's just the way things work best.

Wait, I think I bought week's groceries at a Tesco near Camber Sands 5 or 6 years ago. But beer comprised a large percentage of the tally, I'm afraid.

Oh, it really varies. Some sit, some chat, it's very varied. I'm guessing that you find chatty people standing is more the US-norm?

Quote: Aaron @ November 23 2008, 4:09 AM GMT

Oh, it really varies. Some sit, some chat, it's very varied. I'm guessing that you find chatty people standing is more the US-norm?

I've never seen a seated cashier here. Ever.

Quote: zooo @ November 23 2008, 3:44 AM GMT

I like Top shop stuff but I don't like the staff. I've had a bad experience in one with an offensive assitant and other, they appear really souless so I get top shop stuff online when I can.

New Look I find too "not aimed at anyone above 18".

I guess I only do a few chains..Eh?