British Comedy Guide

How many of you have full time/part time jobs? Page 9

Quote: David Bussell @ November 21 2008, 1:46 PM GMT

The trick is to find a job that enables you to write. A quiet video store or a cushy office number.

So you mean writer AT work? Or a job that's little stress, a bit brainless allowing you to feel fresh to write in the evenings.

I'm amazed at how much writing people do.

I've not written a joke in 3 months, simply because I don't see the point.

I've got scripts with people and I just wait on that. Instead of writing I just play computer games.

Quote: Griff @ November 21 2008, 1:52 PM GMT

I think a low stress job leaving your brain fresh in the evenings, as Seefacts puts it, is the ideal thing. It's very difficult to write at work anywhere I've worked. Even though I've worked in offices where there is literally f**k all to do all day, and I've spent the day monging on here or just drinking coffee and talking shit for eight hours, I've never felt comfortable enough to open up a script and start writing in the office. "What's that you've got there? A script? Maybe we'd ALL like to hear it" etc.

Same.

I've tried it, and I don't work in an office so I can get loads of peace, but I just feel on-edge.

I'm lucky that I can take time off whenever I want - in fact when School of Comedy got it's C4 screening I managed to get out of work leaving a guy on his first day all on his own. I can arrange meetings and stuff whenever I like and know I can make it, which is great.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 21 2008, 1:49 PM GMT

So you mean writer AT work? Or a job that's little stress, a bit brainless allowing you to feel fresh to write in the evenings.

I've got scripts with people and I just wait on that. Instead of writing I just play computer games.

I mean writing at work. It takes a while to get used to it but you get there eventually. It's a good skill to have. I could write during an air raid nowadays.

Are you serious about stopping writing while you wait on producers, Tom? I couldn't do that myself. I feel awash with guilt if I don't come up with at least a couple of funnies a day. And I just bought Fallout 3 for my X-Box.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 21 2008, 1:49 PM GMT

I'd be getting on with something else if I were you.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 21 2008, 2:00 PM GMT

I mean writing at work. It takes a while to get used to it but you get there eventually. It's a good skill to have. I could write during an air raid nowadays.

Are you serious about stopping writing while you wait on producers, Tom? I couldn't do that myself. I feel awash with guilt if I don't come up with at least a couple of funnies a day. And I just bought Fallout 3 for my X-Box.

I know I shouldn't, but I'm very lucky that I've been dealing with people who take days, and not 6 months.

I am preparing to work on something new, but I've been busy as f**k with my house too and that's taking up all my mental energies. Is energies a word?

Quote: Marc P @ November 21 2008, 2:01 PM GMT

I'd be getting on with something else if I were you.

You're right!

Quote: Seefacts @ November 21 2008, 2:03 PM GMT

You're right!

Good chap! Nothing worse than waiting for the post or the phone, and the best way to forget about projects you are waiting to hear on is to be getting on with something else.

Although I very rarely take my own advice.

:)

Quote: Marc P @ November 21 2008, 2:05 PM GMT

Good chap! Nothing worse than waiting for the post or the phone, and the best way to forget about projects you are waiting to hear on is to be getting on with something else.

Although I very rarely take my own advice.

:)

Without a doubt. When I started I wouldn't have dreamt of doing it, because I was writing 4 - 6 months. It's amazing how quickly people get back to you when they like you.

Quote: Seefacts @ November 21 2008, 2:07 PM GMT

It's amazing how quickly people get back to you when they like you.

Oh.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 21 2008, 2:12 PM GMT

Oh.

Ah yes, but he's not talking about friends. They never get back to him...

:D

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 21 2008, 2:40 PM GMT

Ah yes, but he's not talking about friends. They never get back to him...

:D

I don't have any. Anyone shocked?

Quote: Seefacts @ November 21 2008, 2:07 PM GMT

It's amazing how quickly people get back to you when they like you.

It's amazing people think they wouldnt! Their job is to spot good stuff, why would they wait?

I wonder how many people have waited for 6 months then got a call saying "we just read your stuff, it's great" ????

Quote: Griff @ November 21 2008, 2:52 PM GMT

I don't think the delay is after they've read your script, sometimes it just takes them six months to get round to yours.

Yeah, it's the waiting after that that should decrease.

Quote: Griff @ November 21 2008, 2:52 PM GMT

I don't think the delay is after they've read your script, sometimes it just takes them six months to get round to yours.

really? I've never bought that (but what do i know)

I know what i'd do if it was me...i'd glance at EVERYTHING pretty early on (why would you want to put a goldmine in a pending tray?) then put stuff in stacks marked "prob crap, read within the year", "maybe ok, read next month" and "had me stitches by line 5.....call today"

My experience (very very limited) is that people that liked what i did got back within days and those that didn't spent weeks/months to fob me off.....which makes perfect sense.

Quote: Pete @ November 21 2008, 2:51 PM GMT

It's amazing people think they wouldnt! Their job is to spot good stuff, why would they wait?

I wonder how many people have waited for 6 months then got a call saying "we just read your stuff, it's great" ????

Well, I've had some pretty quick rejections.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 21 2008, 3:11 PM GMT

Well, I've had some pretty quick rejections.

Still fits my model....even with the 3 pile technique there will be stuff not worthy of any tray.....then it's just luck if they tell you quickly (on the plus side, if they followed my approach, you'd know your errors were on page 1 somewhere ;) )