British Comedy Guide

How many of you have full time/part time jobs?

Just wanted to get an idea of the writers on here who are perhaps working part time to make sure they have time for writing, and those people who work full time and write when they can.

It will be interesting to know. At the moment I work part time to make time for writing.

Are you a copper? If you're a policeman you have to tell us, Mike. Otherwise, it's technically inducement.
:O

Quote: SlagA @ November 20 2008, 12:29 PM GMT

Are you a copper? If you're a policeman you have to tell us, Mike. Otherwise, it's technically inducement.
:O

I'm not a copper, just an admin assistant. I have less authority than Tony Stamp, and he's not even real.

Part time admin assistant but full time love machine :)

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ November 20 2008, 12:33 PM GMT

Part time admin assistant but full time love machine :)

You or me?

Both of us baby

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ November 20 2008, 12:34 PM GMT

Both of us baby

sweeeet sweeeet! Incidentally that's probably my fav Simpsons line.

Well done Griff, that is a good amount and well earned I'm sure, good for you.

Quote: Griff @ November 20 2008, 12:38 PM GMT

I can't afford to support myself by writing so work freelance doing IT stuff. Well, I say that, to be more accurate I'm out of work at the moment.

Having said that, I just this morning received the biggest writing payment I've ever had, from NewsRevue for the Edinburgh run.

£423.10.

F**k. Me.

Thanks Canal Cafe!!!

That's exactly £423.10 more than I've ever made writing :(

but well done :)

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ November 20 2008, 12:43 PM GMT

That's exactly £423.10 more than I've ever made writing :(

Same here.

I'm a full time lab manager at a pharmaceutical company.

Fortunately(?) my commute is about 2 hours each way so I have plenty of time for reading/writing.

Quote: Griff @ November 20 2008, 12:45 PM GMT

Nigel you must surely be on target for some money from 118 before long?

I told someone your Jeremy Pacman joke yesterday and it got a massive laugh.

Hopefully, sending in loads of gags. If I sell one I'll be happy just to break my duck.

Quote: Griff @ November 20 2008, 12:38 PM GMT

Having said that, I just this morning received the biggest writing payment I've ever had, from NewsRevue for the Edinburgh run.

£423.10.

Nice one, Griff, I had no idea anyone was making real money out of those guys.

I work full time, as do most of the writers on here. I expect there are only a couple who can lay claim to paying their rent/mortgage by writing.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 20 2008, 12:48 PM GMT

Nice one, Griff, I had no idea anyone was making real money out of those guys.

I work full time, as do most of the writers on here. I expect there are only a couple who can lay claim to paying their rent/mortgage by writing.

How much time do you dedicate to writing, outside of work?

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ November 20 2008, 12:50 PM GMT

How much time do you dedicate to writing, outside of work?

Well, including all the admin that goes into putting productions together, including shoot times, probably 30-40 hours a week.