British Comedy Guide

Sketch longevity Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ November 17 2008, 10:55 AM GMT

Well literature didn't really start until 1982.

Why 1982?

Quote: John Kelly @ November 17 2008, 11:24 AM GMT

Why 1982?

Glen Larson wrote the Knight Rider pilot.

Dan

Quote: John Kelly @ November 17 2008, 11:24 AM GMT

Why 1982?

Jackie Collins' 'Chances' was published?

Quote: sootyj @ November 17 2008, 10:55 AM GMT

Well literature didn't really start until 1982.

Huh ???

I read in a book somewhere that if you write a show and can guarantee that Denzil Washington will be in it, it will get made. That's how it is.

Quote: billwill @ November 17 2008, 12:20 PM GMT

Huh ???

Picked a date at random.

Quote: sootyj @ November 17 2008, 4:30 PM GMT

Picked a date at random.

Oh, I thought it had some significance, like 1963 for Philip Larkin.

Well if you add all the numbers together they make 20, which is made up of prime numbers 2 and 5.

Which if square them and add them together make 41.

1941 being the year of Pearl Harbour and the German invasion of Russia.

Very much seen as the birth of modern world history.

41 is also a prime number.

A few current American sketch shows seem to veer towards longer form sketches (more akin to short films). The fabulous Human Giant is a case in hand. And Saturday Night Live too. It probably depends on what form the idea takes. Most 'reveal' sketches, where the reveal is a suprise/ unexpected, won't suit a longer narrative.

However an idea where an actor who's been playing a Sci Fi character in a TV series decides, due to the hassle of 7 hour make up sessions each day, to become their character through plastic surgery, only for the series to then be cancelled, is worth a few more minutes.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ November 17 2008, 5:11 PM GMT

However an idea where an actor who's been playing a Sci Fi character in a TV series decides, due to the hassle of 7 hour make up sessions each day, to become their character through plastic surgery, only for the series to then be cancelled, is worth a few more minutes.

That is a good sketch. I like Human Giant.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 17 2008, 5:12 PM GMT

That is a good sketch. I like Human Giant.

Human Giant must have nicked my ideas book......

They got the snigger trigger alright. Love their foley artist one. Where the sound effects for a cookery programme (like the lettuce chop) are achieved by stabbing/ maiming the crew in various ways. The perfect reversal ! I man love them a lot.

Quote: Griff @ November 17 2008, 5:28 PM GMT

That did make me laugh. I must look into this show.

Just for you Griff:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5e6afb7f21/human-giant-sci-fi-makeup-pt-2-w-david-cross-from-human-giant

Quote: Griff @ November 17 2008, 5:28 PM GMT

[
That did make me laugh. I must look into this show.

The show is broadcast on, of all channels, MTV. But it's all on the internet.

Quote: Griff @ November 17 2008, 4:53 PM GMT

Are you sure?

How stupid of me cube 2 and square 5.

118 118 has shut down large areas of my brain

What I meant to say, anyway where's the conspiracy?

Quote: sootyj @ November 17 2008, 6:09 PM GMT

What I meant to say, anyway where's the conspiracy?

I put it to you sir that you are not a mathematician, but a postman. I rest my case m'lud.