British Comedy Guide

Microsoft Office. (Word) Should I get it? Page 3

Good boy. You know it makes sense. :)

Quote: Mikey J @ November 12 2008, 1:51 AM GMT

Hiya,
I downloaded Microsoft's 60 day free trial version tonoght.

Forking hell, I like it! :)

It's got a "compatiblity" feature which makes docx files able to be opened by earlier versions, i.e. Word 2003.

All I do is check the "make this compatible with..." checkbox.

Oh, and I've downloaded the ScriptSmart templates from Writersroom.
Boy, are THEY gonna make my life easier. :)

I WILL be buying Office 2007 when the 60 day trial expires.

Moral of this story. Yes. Office 2007 IS worth it. :)

Life would be even easier with my Scriptwriters Toolkit instead of the ScriptSmart template, however Microsoft changed so much in Word 2007 over earlier Words, that several features don't work well & so you would need Word2003 back to Word 97 to use my Toolkit easily.

I regret that I no longer have the inclination to keep running along behind Microsoft licking their bootheels.

If I do upgrade the Toolkit it will be to use Open Office instead of MS Word.

Open Office should be sufficient really and it's compatible an can read a whole variety of formats. I've been considering making the move myself at some stage soon, our Office 2003 is falling a little behind the times when it comes to what scripts we get in and I have to keep installing capatibility packs. Does it work with ScriptSmart though? That's my question...

Eric

You could print off a copy from your preferred programme and post it.

I'd say, if you're going to invest in new software, get Final Draft, if you haven't already. Of the 3 prodco's I've had any dealings with, they've all wanted scripts in Final Draft. Even my agent accepts stuff in FD format.

Quote: Pete @ November 11 2008, 5:56 PM GMT

(Final Draft)As for cost...being realistic, does anyone pay for software like that?

I'm not sure how else I get hold of it unless I purchase it. Lee Henman said to give him a buzz and he'd send me a copy of Final Draft Once I got my Mac, but I'm not sure if I had to have sex with him to cover the payment.:P

I'm not really a fan of doing any type of dodgy downloading as I prefer to have original disks and stay on the side of the law.

Quote: Mikey J @ November 12 2008, 1:51 AM GMT

I downloaded Microsoft's 60 day free trial version tonoght.

Apparently you must ensure that every trace of the trial version is removed from you PC before you load the full version of Office. I'm not exactly sure why, perhaps the computer blows up or something if the two versions meet?

Def.

Quote: Deferenz @ November 12 2008, 10:07 AM GMT

Lee Henman said to give him a buzz and he'd send me a copy of Final Draft Once I got my Mac, but I'm not sure if I had to have sex with him to cover the payment.

Knowing Mr Henman of old I would say.... Yes... >_<

kjs

Lee Henman said to give him a buzz and he'd send me a copy of Final Draft Once I got my Mac, but I'm not sure if I had to have sex with him to cover the payment.

I would say yes too, but apparently it's not too bad and it'll be over before the adverts have finished

Ba Boom Boom Tsch. I'm here all week...

Dan

I'm not really a fan of doing any type of dodgy downloading as I prefer to have original disks and stay on the side of the law.

Errrr..ok. But is using torrents for software, DVDs, US TV shows, etc, etc not as normal as doing 85mph on the motorway nowadays? My plan was to use my first US network syndication payment to buy a copy to make myself feel better. :D

Do Word templates work in OpenOffice, anyone? I.e. Can I use BBC ScriptSmart in OpenOffice?
Ta.

Apparently you must ensure that every trace of the trial version is removed from you PC before you load the full version of Office. I'm not exactly sure why, perhaps the computer blows up or something if the two versions meet?

OK, I'll remember that.
Typical Microsoft. Too busy counting money to create a Trial Version that turns into a Full Version once you enter the right product key... like EVERY OTHER PIECE OF SOFTWARE does.

Do Word templates work in OpenOffice, anyone? I.e. Can I use BBC ScriptSmart in OpenOffice?

No. It only works in Word.

Although, it's about time the BBC caught up a bit as the Script Smart page still talks about Word 97 - 2003. Not a word about 2007.

Quote: Mikey J @ November 12 2008, 6:36 PM GMT

No. It only works in Word.

Although, it's about time the BBC caught up a bit as the Script Smart page still talks about Word 97 - 2003. Not a word about 2007.

There is nobody at the BBC to maintain the ScriptSmart templates anymore.

The guy who created ScriptSmart either left the BBC or moved to a totally different kind of job within.

So they should get someone else to do it. :)

Quote: Aaron @ November 13 2008, 12:24 AM GMT

So they should get someone else to do it. :)

They are not really interested in it. It was his private project...

At one stage he claimed that he owned the copyright, not the BBC.