British Comedy Guide

Microsoft Office. (Word) Should I get it? Page 2

Couldn't I still use the Student Home version?
I work from Home. :)

Also.... Not bothered about Outlook.
I only want it for Word and possibly Excell.

Quote: Griff @ November 11 2008, 3:53 PM GMT

I think Marc has pointed you at the "student discount" version? but I might be wrong?

The Student and Home versions are one and the same in Office 2007.

Quote: Mikey J @ November 11 2008, 3:55 PM GMT

Also.... Not bothered about Outlook.
I only want it for Word and possibly Excel.

Then that's the one to go for. :)

As long as you buy it through the BSG affiliate link, obviously. Whistling nnocently

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Griff @ November 11 2008, 3:56 PM GMT

I was thinking in terms of eligibility to buy.

Meanwhile there seems to be some doubt whether Word 2007 is backwards compatible.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

ie people with earlier versions of Word can't read Word 2007 documents.

Anyone know if I've got the wrong end of the stick here? Is this true?

You can save to earlier Word formats with no difficulty at all.

Quote: Aaron @ November 11 2008, 3:57 PM GMT

As long as you buy it through the BSG affiliate link, obviously. Whistling nnocently

See Amazon product listing

You can save to earlier Word formats with no difficulty at all.

:D

As long as you buy it through the BSG affiliate link, obviously.

Heh, heh. Yep. I noticed the affiliate link (comedy-guide) and have saved to faves.

I'll probably get it after Xmas though and I'll take advantage of the Microsoft 60 day free trial for now.

Quote: Griff @ November 11 2008, 3:58 PM GMT

Ah OK that makes sense. I guess you've just got to remember to actually do that before sending.

It's not hard. The new format has a different extension.

.doc - old
.docx - new

Quote: Mikey J @ November 11 2008, 3:59 PM GMT

Heh, heh. Yep. I noticed the affiliate link (comedy-guide) and have saved to faves.

I'll probably get it after Xmas though and I'll take advantage of the Microsoft 60 day free trial for now.

Muchly appreciated! :D

Well, thanks for all the help. :)

Gotta go into town now. Byeeee. :)

I have the student & home Microsoft Office 2008 for the Mac. It cost me around £80. The first thing I did was set the save function to Compatability mode and this means my files can be read with word versions 97 through to 2004 on both PC and Mac (I use two other PC's with Word 2000 and 2003). I could set it to Word 2007 if I also needed to.

I think it was a good purchase so I would say go and get it.

Def.

I only just realised that Micheal Jacob uses the moniker Mikey J when writing his own hip and cool down with it new sitcoms.

It's like Ronnie Barker all over again.

Quote: Griff @ November 11 2008, 4:05 PM GMT

No, fair enough. It should be easy enough to remember to do. As long as you haven't got your computer set up to hide file extensions.

I'd forgotten that that's even possible.

Quote: Griff @ November 11 2008, 4:11 PM GMT

Ah, problem solved. Thanks Def. "Compatibility mode", eh.

How's your new Mac going? Are you One Of Us now?

I had seen this save function tool before on the PC Word. If you go into 'save as' there is a way of saving your document into a previous release format. When I started playing with Word for Mac this tool was in exactly the same place.

Am I one of you? I guess so. It is a slow start though as I'm trying to take it slowly with the Mac until I learn its functions. In reality Macs are really simple - they work the way your mind thinks they should. The problem is that we are all so used to the PC way of doing things that it leads to frustration when the Mac doesn't do what you want straight away (remember my PM to you over screen size?)(now solved by just clicking buttons and trying things out)

Word 2008 has been a bit frustrating because although much of it is just the same as older versions, there are many commonly used tools that are hidden away in different places.

Regarding script writing I am still working in parallel with my PC laptop while working on already started scripts, but new stuff will go on the Mac. I'm still in two minds on whether to get Final Draft, use Celtx or just do a basic format job myself on Word.

Def.

Getting Final Draft transformed my writing......it just makes it so simple to write and ignore having to worry about format....everything just flows and happens as it needs to.

And of course, you just convert to a PDF and send it off.

As for cost...being realistic, does anyone pay for software like that?

I only just realised that Micheal Jacob uses the moniker Mikey J when writing his own hip and cool down with it new sitcoms.
It's like Ronnie Barker all over again.

Oh. Maybe they'll think I'm him :P

Quote: Griff @ November 11 2008, 3:56 PM GMT

I was thinking in terms of eligibility to buy. But I can't see anything on that Amazon page saying you have to prove you are a student, so ignore me.

Meanwhile there seems to be some doubt whether Word 2007 is backwards compatible.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

ie people with earlier versions of Word can't read Word 2007 documents.

Anyone know if I've got the wrong end of the stick here? Is this true?

There is an addon available from the microsoft site which allows older versions of Word to read .DOCX files which are the default output of Word 2007. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923505/en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

Word2007 can save files in .DOC format (the format of earlier versions of Word), but this requirees a smidgeon of common sense on the part of the person saving the file.

Hiya,
I downloaded Microsoft's 60 day free trial version tonoght.

Forking hell, I like it! :)

It's got a "compatiblity" feature which makes docx files able to be opened by earlier versions, i.e. Word 2003.

All I do is check the "make this compatible with..." checkbox.

Oh, and I've downloaded the ScriptSmart templates from Writersroom.
Boy, are THEY gonna make my life easier. :)

I WILL be buying Office 2007 when the 60 day trial expires.

Moral of this story. Yes. Office 2007 IS worth it. :)