British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,572

Baaaasically just did!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ November 9 2008, 12:04 AM GMT

Let's just say that Elliot's joke about "cheeky bottom slaps for everyone" bit me on the bum today. And yes, before it gets said, the joke, not Elliot.

Elliot took you up the wrong'un?! :O

Oh, Aaron.

*Shakes head* Aaron, Aaron, Aaron. Plus, even though you weren't right, I'm so going to get told off for this.

"Did I miss anything worth reading back for on GenGen?" "No. Just no."

Request to techies. I'm not very bright with gadgets, but I reckoned that coming onto a geek-fest internet forum there might be one or two people able to help, please?

I'm thinking of buying a mini laptop. What I need is something ultra portable, no more than a 10" screen, with wifi internet and email capability. Other than that the main thing I need it to do is word processing, and the ability to transfer word documents between it and my main PC. I am only familiar with Windows and I see some of these things are Linux. Is there any problem transferring stuff from Linux to Windows, and vice versa?

And I don't want to spend all of my BSG Christmas do money on this, so a cheap option would be great.

Any advice that doesn't leave me technologically perplexed will be gratefully received. Ta.

EDIT: This might be the wrong thread. Especially seeing as where this post has become wedged.

Typical Office-type files created on Linux (most likely Open Office?) should work on Windows. FYI, many (most?) of the laptop replacements can run XP.

No particular issues transferring Badge, no. Most of the machines come with Open Office (free to legally download and install anyway), which has full Microsoft Office compatibility support, so you're sorted from the go.

Pop down to WHS or somesuch tomorrow and have a look at the computer magazines. At least 2 of them are likely to have a feature comparing different machines. Different names for them: netbook, mini laptop, UMPC, UPC... :)

Oh, super. I knew this was the place to come! Thanks.

Good morning! Wave

Quote: Finck @ November 9 2008, 10:01 AM GMT

Good morning! Wave

Morning! Hug

*waves fist at her upstairs* 4 hours sleep. :(

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 9 2008, 10:32 AM GMT

Morning! Hug

*waves fist at her upstairs* 4 hours sleep. :(

Onkel Nil! Good morning!!!

*shakes fist at Onkel Nil's neighbour*

Hug

:)

:D Hello Finck, my favourite German Nichte *hopes Babelfish has done it's job for once*

*joins in fist waving*

How are you this fine morn?

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 9 2008, 10:40 AM GMT

:D Hello Finck, my favourite German Nichte *hopes Babelfish has done it's job for once*

*joins in fist waving*

How are you this fine morn?

Yes! Nichte is correct. :)

Splendid! Still in bed...

Saw new Bond last night.

And no footie result has clouded my mood as yet. :)

How are you? (No footie result yet, either, I see.)

Quote: Finck @ November 9 2008, 10:51 AM GMT

Yes! Nichte is correct. :)

Splendid! Still in bed...

Saw new Bond last night.

And no footie result has clouded my mood as yet. :)

How are you? (No footie result yet, either, I see.)

:) *gives Finck a few packs of High School Musical 3 stickers* Well that's what my other niece likes. :)

*gets another cuppa*

Oooh any good? Julia's looking forward to that, although Ellie didn't like it.

No, mine neither, let's hope it stays that way. :) It's on TV this afternoon, hopefully we shall triumph and shoot up to ninth.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 9 2008, 10:57 AM GMT

:) *gives Finck a few packs of High School Musical 3 stickers* Well that's what my other niece likes. :)

*gets another cuppa*

Oooh any good? Julia's looking forward to that, although Ellie didn't like it.

No, mine neither, let's hope it stays that way. :) It's on TV this afternoon, hopefully we shall triumph and shoot up to ninth.

Reads up on HM3. Errr.

I liked it. Apart from the boat stuff. Not enough Gemma Arterton, too. :)

We're playing against the German equivalent to Fulham. Frankfurt. Could go horribly wrong. Might just not. :) Now that Volzy's transferred to Ipswich I'm very much fine with Fulham being trampled into the mud. :)