British Comedy Guide

Brand, Ross and Sachs Page 42

Quote: Badge @ November 3 2008, 11:46 PM GMT

Camping better than Khyber? Bah! To my mind Khyber and Cleo are so far ahead of the rest of the crop it's unreal.

I've never thought all that much of Cleo (comparitively) really, but I do love Khyber.

It's always time for tiffin.

Quote: Griff @ November 3 2008, 11:49 PM GMT

It's the way you decide that everything you don't like is racist, or has some other ideological flaw enabling you to take the moral high ground over everyone else, that is mildly offensive and a bit boring really.

Quite!

Sooty nobody minds you deciding which comedies you do or don't like. It's the way you decide that everything you don't like is racist, or has some other ideological flaw enabling you to take the moral high ground over everyone else, that is mildly offensive and a bit boring really.

And everyone knows Screaming is the best Carry On.

Yeah only because Ms Voluptua's idealogical mother was in it!

:)

Sooty nobody minds you deciding which comedies you do or don't like. It's the way you decide that everything you don't like is racist, or has some other ideological flaw enabling you to take the moral high ground over everyone else, that is mildly offensive and a bit boring really.

And everyone knows Screaming is the best Carry On.

You are a little prickly. Seefacts should be home soon.

There's lots of stuff I dislike which isn't racist. I don't feel that liking Khyber makes one a racist. Merely that to me it's a poor film that happens to be racist.

I have Fawlty Towers videos and the script books. It may have nasty racist tinges doesn't stop it being funny.

Not all racist films are funny, not all funny films are racist.

It's a wonderful wide world.

Smoke?

Frying tonight?

Dan Dan the Lavatory Man?

Foul Feet?

Ok, there's a lot to like about Screaming. But I still think Cleo and Khyber are the best.

The early Carry Ons are a bit of a nothing, but Cabby was okay, and they then had a terrific run with Jack, Spying, Cleo, Cowboy and Screaming. Don't Lose Your Head is rough, but Follow That Camel is fine, and then they hit form again with Doctor, before surpassing themselves with Up the Khyber. Carry on Camping was fine, but after that it is downhill all the way, with a surprising late rally with Abroad.

And Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand combined do not have one tenth of the comic talent of Kenneth Williams left nostril (just to get it back in topic, sort of.)

Quote: Timbo @ November 4 2008, 9:59 AM GMT

And Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand combined do not have one tenth of the comic talent of Kenneth Williams left nostril (just to get it back in topic, sort of.)

Kenneth Williams was a nasty piece of work, though.

Never thought much of Follow That Camel. A bit inconsistent, and Phil Silvers just doesn't pull off the Sid James role.

But I do love Dick.

Talented people often are. You have to judge the work not the man.

Of course Ross and Brand are neither likeable nor particularly talented, which makes their difficulties rather amusing.

Quote: Aaron @ November 4 2008, 10:25 AM GMT

But I do love Dick.

How about Head?

A pretty good effort - and even better with Loving.

Quote: Timbo @ November 4 2008, 10:30 AM GMT

Talented people often are.

Not necessarily. It's a cliche to suggest talented people have to be shits.

It's why I'm aiming to be as horrible as possible.

You bunch of peanuts, I'm off to kick a tramp.

Quote: chipolata @ November 4 2008, 11:15 AM GMT

Not necessarily. It's a cliche to suggest talented people have to be shits.

They don't have to be. People always have the choice.

Love the Carry Ons. I think my favourite has to be the one with Doctor Nooky - Terry Scott was wonderfully pervy in that one. Can't remember the title. I think there was a Doctor Prodder as well. Was that Scott? I love those Carry On character names - Mustapha Leek etc.

Carry On Again Doctor. You're thinking of Jim Dale.

(Terry Scott wasn't in it at all.)

Terry Scott was Dr Prodd.

Dr. Prodd: Mrs. Tucker, isn't it? Now what can I do for you?

Mrs. Tucker: Well, I came to see you three months ago, because I was a little bit worried about my husband being able to have a baby.

Dr. Prodd: Yes, that's right, he's a bit older than you, isn't he?

Mrs. Tucker: Eighty-eight.

Dr. Prodd: Yes.

Mrs. Tucker: Well, if you remember, you suggested it might be a good idea to take in a lodger, you know, someone nearer my own age.

Dr. Prodd: [uncomfortably] Yes, well, purely off the record, of course.

Mrs. Tucker: Well, it worked! I'm pregnant.

Dr. Prodd: Oh! What about your husband?

Mrs. Tucker: Oh, he's tickled pink.

Dr. Prodd: And what about the lodger?

Mrs. Tucker: Well, that's the trouble. She's pregnant too!