British Comedy Guide

Brand, Ross and Sachs Page 40

Good actors, but what a horrible snide script. Full of blokey racism, shameful puns and just plain bad jokes.

There's a real knee jerk affection for the low quality in this country.

On a psycho-social lesson it's fascintaing. A mixture of bitterness, fear and prejudice. A film that reflects such profoundly deep self loathing.

Why a talent as deep as Kenneth Williams got involved in this crap?

Round the Horne, Hancock, this was such a drop for him.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 3 2008, 1:28 PM GMT

*surprise

Thanks.

Quote: sootyj @ November 3 2008, 1:33 PM GMT

Good actors, but what a horrible snide script. Full of blokey racism, shameful puns and just plain bad jokes.

And that's what makes it just so damn bloody brilliant. :)

Quote: Aaron @ November 3 2008, 1:09 PM GMT

Once you get over the Morris sycophancy, Brass Eye is actually quite shit, really.

Quote: Aaron @ November 3 2008, 1:21 PM GMT

I cannot express the lack of surprise which I feel when reading that.

:D

Laughing out loud

Quote: Griff @ November 3 2008, 1:50 PM GMT

Shameful puns eh? Imagine someone doing that.

Hey I don't expected to be a hero of British comedy for bad puns.

That's why I call Dave Cameron a c**t.

Quote: zooo @ November 3 2008, 12:02 AM GMT

They didn't drop him, he dropped it.

They have been very clear they wouldn't have used him...irrespective of who got the words in first.

Ah, I didn't hear that.

What a load of balls this thing has become!

Blah blah blah blah blah.

This whole thing is ridiculous. It's gone from the original incident, to the media reaction to the incident, to the media reaction to the media reaction to the incident, to the defence against the media reaction to the incident, to whether or not you like Ross and/or Brand, to whether or not the BBC and other broadcasters are out of order on grounds of cost, taste, or both.

Bottom line, to me, is simple: it's the incident. By which I mean the series of phone calls, irrespective of their broadcast status. The lack of instant contrition has brought more grief on Brand and Ross than the actual offence warranted, but that's their own fault - for whatever reason, they didn't apologise properly, they allowed it to be broadcast (you think they didn't have a say?) and they were very slow to react once it had reached the media. I don't think the media reaction has that much to do with the original incident but if anyone is responsible for it getting out of hand it is Ross and Brand.

By the way, I like Brand very much, and I think Ross is sometimes great and oftentimes irritating. I'm sure both will be back on the BBC at some point though (look at Kenny Everett - banned at least once and then a big BBC star).

And I love Carry on up the Khyber. :)

Good on you Badge lets have no more reaction to the incident and no more reaction to the reaction! But.... hang on a mo!

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Marc P @ November 3 2008, 11:16 PM GMT

Good on you Badge lets have no more reaction to the incident and no more reaction to the reaction! But.... hang on a mo!

Whistling nnocently

Bugger

Quote: Badge @ November 3 2008, 11:20 PM GMT

Bugger

Quote: Marc P @ November 3 2008, 11:21 PM GMT

Though in my defence I was trying to bring it back to the inciting incident...

I can't argue with a man who quotes Robert McKee Geek

The backing Britain on the Union Jack may be the saddest sight in any comnedy film.