British Comedy Guide

Brand, Ross and Sachs Page 36

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 31 2008, 3:16 PM BST

Nah. Not c**t. Far too obvious.

Mongoloid? That's one of them terms the kids use nowadays, right?

Quote: maidenpriest @ October 31 2008, 4:22 PM BST

If it was not televised was it still shown on TV ie not live but a few days later, I cant see the point of the ceronomy if it ain't shown on TV??

It wasn't broadcast last year, despite being held and filmed as normal.

Right. Now I'm really annoyed. This ridiculously over-hyped story was bad enough when it was being considered more important than an earthquake on the main news, but now that it has resulted in Ross having to step down from the Comedy Awards... GRRRRR!

Thanks Daily Mail readers! Funny how none of you complained until four days after the broadcast. You must have been so offended when you heard it on the Saturday that it took you four days to get in touch with the BBC.

Ross has always presented the comedy awards (even last year when they weren't on TV). That'll be two years in a row I'll have missed hearing Ross' opening speech then! Not good enough! Ross' opening of the awards has always been the highlight of my comedy year. Bastards.

All I'll say is they better choose someone bloody good to take over or I'm going to explode!

(Side note: the unneccessary suspension of Ross is going to cost the licence fee payers way more than the £1 million the star would have been paid. For starters the BBC are apparently going to have to fork out half a million just to cover the cost of the cancelled studio time... plus there's the 30 Hot Sauce production staff to still pay, his replacement presenters to pay, and the rights costs related to filling hours of prime time schedule with films and the like)

Still, maybe they'll bring Not Going Out forwards.

Yeah, grasping at straws here, I know.

Quote: Mark @ October 31 2008, 6:08 PM BST

Right. Now I'm really annoyed. This ridiculously over-hyped story was bad enough when it was being considered more important than an earthquake on the main news, but now that it has resulted in Ross having to step down from the Comedy Awards... GRRRRR!

Thanks Daily Mail readers! Funny how none of you complained until four days after the broadcast. You must have been so offended when you heard it on the Saturday that it took you four days to get in touch with the BBC.

Ross has always presented the comedy awards (even last year when they weren't on TV). That'll be two years in a row I'll have missed hearing Ross' opening speech then! Not good enough! Ross' opening of the awards has always been the highlight of my comedy year. Bastards.

All I'll say is they better choose someone bloody good to take over or I'm going to explode!

(Side note: the unneccessary suspension of Ross is going to cost the licence fee payers way more than the £1 million the star would have been paid. For starters the BBC are apparently going to have to fork out half a million just to cover the cost of the cancelled studio time... plus there's the 30 Hot Sauce production staff to still pay, his replacement presenters to pay, and the rights costs related to filling hours of prime time schedule with films and the like)

Mark and Ross sitting in a tree...

Quote: Mark @ October 31 2008, 6:08 PM BST

Ross' opening of the awards has always been the highlight of my comedy year.

How sad is that? :(

Gee, Mark..

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand showed a lack of personal judgement in what they did. They did apologise during the show. The fact it was recorded meant they had the opportunity to pull that section before broadcast, which they should have. Who knows what they were thinking post-broadcast, but they probably put it in the hands of their producer(s)?

People have been understandibly hurt, yet no-one should be harshly judged. The BBC is left weaker, which I guess no-one, including Andrew Sachs, would want.

Really bad things. The head of Radio 2 has lost her job, through no fault (apparently) of her own. Been at the Beeb over 30 years, think of her. Secondly, Russell Brand (though not my cup of tea) is original and entertaining and it is sad (yet a testament to his character) that he didn't cling on. Lastly, The British Comedy Awards... Especially after last year, we really needed this broadcast to be hosted by Ross. It may have been the funniest one ever. So let's get the best alternative (this is where Jonathan Ross has most let us down) and I hope that Simon Amstell hosts it instead.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 1 2008, 1:59 AM BST

I hope that Simon Amstell hosts it instead.

That's not a bad suggestion. Although, like you say, this year over all others they really did need Jonathan Ross at the helm. I'm sure the opening scripted speech will still be funny whoever delivers it - there's obviously lots of jokes to make!

Christ no. Amstell's small and weedy. There's no way he has the clout or cheekiness to pull off any part of that show. He'd just come across as a total shit.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 1 2008, 1:33 AM BST

How sad is that?

Gee, Mark..

Maybe. But I honestly think you can't beat the start of the comedy awards for good risky jokes - no one is safe, and that's the way it should be.

Quote: Aaron @ November 1 2008, 12:59 PM BST

Christ no. Amstell's small and weedy. There's no way he has the clout or cheekiness to pull off any part of that show. He'd just come across as a total shit.

Do you not watch Buzzcocks? He may be small and weedy but 'cheekiness' describes him exactly and he's not afraid to tell the jokes no one else will, or poke fun at people - that's what the BCAs need.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 1 2008, 1:59 AM BST

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand showed a lack of personal judgement in what they did. They did apologise during the show. The fact it was recorded meant they had the opportunity to pull that section before broadcast, which they should have. Who knows what they were thinking post-broadcast, but they probably put it in the hands of their producer(s)?

People have been understandibly hurt, yet no-one should be harshly judged. The BBC is left weaker, which I guess no-one, including Andrew Sachs, would want.

Really bad things. The head of Radio 2 has lost her job, through no fault (apparently) of her own. Been at the Beeb over 30 years, think of her. Secondly, Russell Brand (though not my cup of tea) is original and entertaining and it is sad (yet a testament to his character) that he didn't cling on. Lastly, The British Comedy Awards... Especially after last year, we really needed this broadcast to be hosted by Ross. It may have been the funniest one ever. So let's get the best alternative (this is where Jonathan Ross has most let us down) and I hope that Simon Amstell hosts it instead.

Sachs gave his consent for the broadcast. He could have ended it at that stage.

Ended it and still made a complaint to the BBC, or taken legal action in his own right.

Quote: Mark @ November 1 2008, 1:03 PM BST

Do you not watch Buzzcocks? He may be small and weedy but 'cheekiness' describes him exactly

He's not cheeky. Upfront and confrontational, yes. But he comes across as if he genuinely means it. (And probably does.) With Ross, no matter what he actually does think, it just feels like he's joking around but e's still yer bessie mate. And that.

Amstell would be wrong on every level.

Jim Davidson?

That would be interesting as a host. But I expect that everyone else hates him.

Well give the public a genuine bigot.

Or a medium and Bernard Manning.

He was never a medium.