British Comedy Guide

What are you listening to now? Page 429

Quote: zooo @ October 27 2008, 3:43 PM BST

:) Is it because she pronounces love as 'loave'?

Haha! I didn't notice that. I'll have to listen again. No, it was just generally the sound of it. I'll listen when this track is finished.

Rob Zombie - House Of 1000 Corpses

(The two couldn't be much more different.)

I've just been listening to an old Ice Cube song, called The Product, from back in 1990/'91, and can't believe he was only 21 when he wrote it. Check out these lyrics, from the first verse, in which he describes being conceived/born:

I was told, cause I didn't witness the whole act
In an out was the movement of the bozack*
It was hot and sweaty with lots of pushin'
Then the nut came gushin'
And it was hell tryin' to bail to the ovary
With nothin' but the Lord lookin' over me
I was white with a tail
But when I reached the finish line, young black male
One cell made two, and two cells made fo'
And so on, so now I'm an embryo
Then I got a hunch
That I'ma be on lockdown, for nine months
Chillin', with my Mother to guide me
And nothin' but a stomach to hide me
From all that worry and bullshit
Nine months later, I elbow, pull and kick
Cause my time is up, and I don't care
With one big push, I'm outta there
June 15th, it's just my luck
In 1969, a nigga is the Product.

*Bozack = male genitals

It's when I listen to songs like this that I thank God I discovered Hip hop at an early age.

In an almost disturbing way, That is some good song writing skills! Quite impressed! :D

'Then the nut came 'gushin' must be one of the most unpleasent lines I've seen in a song for some time!!!!

Quote: catskillz @ October 27 2008, 9:14 PM BST

It's when I listen to songs like this that I thank God I discovered Hip hop at an early age.

Really? It might just be me, in fact it most certainly is, but that just all washed over me.

I'm essentially using this as a lead in to a question though, you like your hip-hop catskillz and I was wondering if you can help me. I've always *tried* to like the genre, and sometimes I think I've found artists who I quite like. However I always end up loathing the hip-hop I find because the artists just irk me. There seems to be so much posturing, violence and self-worth within the songs that I can't stand it.

Essentially catskillz, can you find me some hip-hop where the artist isn't violent or really arrogant?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 27 2008, 9:18 PM BST

'Then the nut came 'gushin' must be one of the most unpleasent lines I've seen in a song for some time!!!!

Laughing out loud Couldn't agree more!
I have just started listening to the latest album from Snow Patrol - 'A Hundred Million Suns'. So far so good!
Cool

Now listening: Nels Cline (presently in Wilco) - "Not as Good as Ralph" solo acoustic performance from a 1999 bootleg recording I found in a box of my old stuff.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8cpzh2

Quote: PhQnix @ October 27 2008, 9:22 PM BST

Really? It might just be me, in fact it most certainly is, but that just all washed over me.

I'm essentially using this as a lead in to a question though, you like your hip-hop catskillz and I was wondering if you can help me. I've always *tried* to like the genre, and sometimes I think I've found artists who I quite like. However I always end up loathing the hip-hop I find because the artists just irk me. There seems to be so much posturing, violence and self-worth within the songs that I can't stand it.

Essentially catskillz, can you find me some hip-hop where the artist isn't violent or really arrogant?

Ooh, I think I can help to.

MF Doom
Common
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Del The Funky Homosapien
Eric B & Rakim
Jurassic 5
The Coup
The Hieroglyphics
Souls Of Mischief
Tribe Called Quest (Q-Tip solo)
De La Soul

Quote: PhQnix @ October 27 2008, 9:22 PM BST

Well, first of all, the violent, arrogant stuff shouldn't even be referred to as Hip hop, as it's really Gangsta Rap, which is music I try to ignore (unless it's a playful/comedic arrogance). As for finding you some good stuff, that shouldn't be a problem, although I'm nowhere near as fanatical about the music as I was years ago.

Here's a song/video that sums up how most fans of Hip hop feel about Gangsta Rap: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MsoKLzdPqmw

I'll post some more suggestions later, and over the next few days. Hotzappa's selection is pretty damn good as well, although I prefer naming specific songs, rather than just artists, as even the greatest of artists have been known to make some pretty bad songs.

De La Soul!
They're the ones I was trying to think of!
Totally happy cheerful fun hip hop from the 90s. (or maybe earlier, dunno.)

Quote: catskillz @ October 27 2008, 9:15 PM BST

I've just been listening to an old Ice Cube song, called The Product, from back in 1990/'91, and can't believe he was only 21 when he wrote it. Check out these lyrics, from the first verse, in which he describes being conceived/born:

I was told, cause I didn't witness the whole act
In an out was the movement of the bozack*
It was hot and sweaty with lots of pushin'
Then the nut came gushin'
And it was hell tryin' to bail to the ovary
With nothin' but the Lord lookin' over me
I was white with a tail
But when I reached the finish line, young black male
One cell made two, and two cells made fo'
And so on, so now I'm an embryo
Then I got a hunch
That I'ma be on lockdown, for nine months
Chillin', with my Mother to guide me
And nothin' but a stomach to hide me
From all that worry and bullshit
Nine months later, I elbow, pull and kick
Cause my time is up, and I don't care
With one big push, I'm outta there
June 15th, it's just my luck
In 1969, a nigga is the Product.

*Bozack = penis

What a load of schoolboy bollocks. (or am I just showing my age?)

Cherry Ghost by the way now.

Pharoahe Monch

KISS, BETCHES! WOOOOOOOO! \ Cool /

:P

:)

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ October 27 2008, 11:01 PM BST

KISS, BETCHES! WOOOOOOOO! \ Cool /

class!!