British Comedy Guide

What are you listening to now? Page 423

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 22 2008, 8:38 PM BST

Just never liked any of the songs I've heard, though I can't force my brain to throw up one of their tunes now. Stupid brain. But no, I remember always being a bit repulsed by their songs. Not repulsed as in I'm about to empty my innards, just repulsed as in I hate the music.

If you look past the overly earnest and idealistic nature of some of the lyrics, they've done some brilliant albums.

And they're fantastic live.

If anyone's bored, here's a couple of choice Levellers tracks:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-hdTQr3Vxao

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzijwOWMAY

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4oTHEw2Vb8Y

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 22 2008, 8:40 PM BST

Oh christ, I just checked and now remember that song 'What A Beautiful Day'. Hated that song. And his voice, that odd, irish-y twang he has.

Yeah, but that's just that song that most bands have which is used as a stick to beat them with.

Like 'Brick' by Ben Folds or 'Pure' by The Lightning Seeds.

Bullet Theory - Funeral For a Friend.

Pretty much sounds the same as all FFAF songs...

Yeah but 'Brick' is still brilliant.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 22 2008, 8:47 PM BST

Yeah, but that's just that song that most bands have which is used as a stick to beat them with.

Like 'Brick' by Ben Folds or 'Pure' by The Lightning Seeds.

Ben Folds: Great.

The Lightning Seeds: Arse.

Quote: zooo @ October 22 2008, 8:51 PM BST

Yup.

Brick actually is the song that got me into them!
I remember it being on TOTP. Lovey

Quote: zooo @ October 22 2008, 8:51 PM BST

Yeah, correct, but people may well hate it and think it representative of all his work.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 22 2008, 8:54 PM BST

The Lightning Seeds: Arse.

Incorrect.

Ian Broudie is the finest pop craftsman of the last 25 years.

Quote: zooo @ October 22 2008, 8:56 PM BST

And it's all track all the hardcore fans hate for that reason.

Quote: zooo @ October 22 2008, 8:56 PM BST

Ah, I was into them from the first album on; *sings* 'Jackson Ca-a-a-na-a-are-e-e-e . . .'

I wish He'd inject a bit more of the Folds Five fun into his stuff now. I really like his solo stuff; but I think he was at his best before the band broke up.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 22 2008, 8:58 PM BST

Ian Broudie is the finest pop craftsman of the last 25 years.

Incorrect. Crap songs, an awful voice and all the stage presence of a corpse.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 22 2008, 8:59 PM BST

Incorrect. Crap songs, an awful voice and all the stage presence of a corpse.

He's no performer, in reality he's a brilliant producer who's worked on some of the best UK albums of the post punk era - The Bunnymen, Shack, Icicle Works etc.

And he's written some fantastic sky high indie tracks, and his solo album was acoustic magic. But hey, he did that Three Lions so he must be shit.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 22 2008, 9:02 PM BST

He's no performer, in reality he's a brilliant producer who's worked on some of the best UK albums of the post punk era - The Bunnymen, Shack, Icicle Works etc.

I know about all that, but don't like any of the stuff he's performed himself.

Zooooooooooooooooo? What do you make of Ben Folds' recent LP?

I like it a lot. But not as much as his other solo stuff. But, like I've probably said, I've not given it sufficient growing-on-me time yet. :)

Quote: Seefacts @ October 22 2008, 8:58 PM BST

And it's all track all the hardcore fans hate for that reason.

the track you mean?
Yeah I know!
F**k 'em!

I still feel like a Ben Folds newbie because of those twats. And I've liked him for 10 years!

Quote: zooo @ October 22 2008, 9:12 PM BST

I like it a lot. But not as much as his other solo stuff. But, like I've probably said, I've not given it sufficient growing-on-me time yet. :)

the track you mean?
Yeah I know!
F**k 'em!

I still feel like a Ben Folds newbie because of those twats. And I've liked him for 10 years!

Sorry for rushing you on your new album critique, I thought you'd have had ample listening time . . . Sorry. Sorry . . .

Yes, I meant 'the track' - I'm not paying attention as I type.

The first Folds track I actually liked, ironically, was Rockin' The Suburbs - the one song he's done which is NOTHING like the rest of his stuff.

Lightening Seeds produced some brilliant well-produced pop music. Nothing wrong with that. Puts someone like Take Twat into perspective.

And (not out of choice) I'm listening to AC/DC - oh good. Now they've finished and Clare Grogan is talking to R & M.

Quote: David Chapman @ October 22 2008, 9:16 PM BST

Lightening Seeds produced some brilliant well-produced pop music. Nothing wrong with that. Puts someone like Take Twat into perspective.

And (not out of choice) I'm listening to AC/DC - oh good. Now they've finished and Clare Grogan is talking to R & M.

Take That are ace for what they are. Gary Barlow is a fine pop song writer. You might hate his stuff, fair enough, it's cheesy but he's very good at what he does.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 22 2008, 9:14 PM BST

Sorry for rushing you on your new album critique, I thought you'd have had ample listening time . . . Sorry. Sorry . . .

Ha!
You are forgiven.
*pats head*

Take That write brilliant pop music.

Seriously, David, if you want to slag off shit pop, you are picking the wrong band. I know exactly what you're trying to express that you hate. It's Boyzone or Westlife that you want, not Take That.

(Unless you purely say it now just to piss me off!) :)