British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 1,468

I just remembered that I created my very own image digitizer 25 years ago. I'd throw in a VHS tape of something I wanted to "digitize" and then pause the VCR. Then I'd use a grease pencil to outline the still photo (I remember tracing still images of Pete Townshend and David Letterman) and after I was finished I'd hook my Apple up to the TV with an RF modulator. Then I'd fire up a cheesy graphics program and use a joystick to trace the pencil outline. Finally, I'd fill the outlines with monochromatic colors and an image was born.

Rock on!

I think my equally geeky brother still has that old Apple and all the disks. I should see if I can resurrect any of the images.

The Internet and BBS scenes were still unknown to me at the time, but I remember getting pirated floppy copies of games 25 years ago. Hackers would slap their logos and names on the splash screens and I decided that I wanted to do the same. I used reams of paper and several pencils before I managed to come up with pixel diagrams of my own identity and logo - The Wiener. Then I painstakingly edited the images in a hex editor, painting my own graffiti byte by byte. What a geek.

I liked Dizzy. :)

Quote: DaButt @ October 20 2008, 12:47 AM BST

I remember getting pirated floppy copies of games 25 years ago. Hackers would slap their logos and names on the splash screens and I decided that I wanted to do the same. I used reams of paper and several pencils before I managed to come up with pixel diagrams of my own identity and logo - The Wiener. Then I painstakingly edited the images in a hex editor, painting my own graffiti byte by byte. What a geek.

That's ... beautiful. Teary

I've found a version of Bubble Bobble that runs on my PC. Does anyone remember that? My best friend had it on his Amiga 500. We played that game till our eyes fell out.

I think I had that on my.... some kind of Japanese handheld thingy I can't remember the name of...

Neo Geo!

Aw. It was so cute.

You had a Neo Geo?

This is the game that featured digitized speech: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hes_Games

This is the first computer game I ever bought. Those Infocom games ruled my world for a few years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanter_(video_game)

Quote: zooo @ October 20 2008, 12:58 AM BST

I think I had that on my.... some kind of Japanese handheld thingy I can't remember the name of...

Neo Geo!

Aw. It was so cute.

Woah. Even I remember those!

Quote: Finck @ October 20 2008, 12:55 AM BST

I've found a version of Bubble Bobble that runs on my PC. Does anyone remember that? My best friend had it on his Amiga 500. We played that game till our eyes fell out.

One of my mobile ring tones is the bubble bobble theme high five. I also got it on the wii and was playing til the wee hours the other night

Quote: Leevil @ October 20 2008, 12:49 AM BST

I liked Dizzy. :)

Dizzy rocked! I never finished one but I remeber devoting vast amounts of time to them.

Quote: Gavin @ October 20 2008, 7:08 AM BST

One of my mobile ring tones is the bubble bobble theme high five. I also got it on the wii and was playing til the wee hours the other night

:D

Quote: Gavin @ October 20 2008, 7:08 AM BST

Dizzy rocked! I never finished one but I remeber devoting vast amounts of time to them.

Loved it!

Morning everyone.

Morning!

Morning Finck. :)

*goes to work*