British Comedy Guide

NewsRevue again! Page 29

I'm curious, why do you write for NR?

I'm on a bit of a NewsRevue break at the moment, but before that I wrote solidly for them for about 18 months. I don't plan to ever give up doing it, mostly because I've got to know and like a lot of the people involved, so it's good fun. Also it's very nice to have your sketches go to Edinburgh and places like that - I went to see a NewsRevue performance at the Royal Academy of Music with some of my stuff in and that was quite a buzz. Finally, I feel I owe them something, as they were one of the first places that started using my writing, which gave me a lot of confidence. And it's a nice break from other projects, eg when I can't be arsed to wrestle with my sitcom, it only takes an hour or so to write a quick NR sketch.

Quote: Griff @ October 9 2008, 1:55 PM BST

I'm on a bit of a NewsRevue break at the moment, but before that I wrote solidly for them for about 18 months. I don't plan to give up doing it, mostly because I've got to know and like a lot of the people involved, so it's good fun. Also it's very nice to have your sketches go to Edinburgh and places like that - I went to see a NewsRevue performance at the Royal Academy of Music a while back with some of my stuff in and it was quite a buzz. Finally, I feel I owe them something, as they were one of the first places that started using my writing, which gave me a lot of confidence.

Interesting, thanks for that. One of the main reasons I stopped is because I felt writing for it was biting into my writing time for other things. I never actually got to see a performance though, of this or Treason Show. that would have been a buzz.

Hurrahhhh. I actually got the running order this time. :)

Regarding writing for NR, it's mostly for the writing credit. The money is just exta change to me, but it does help in this climate.

Mind you, like someone said earlier, the initial buzz has gone. I still contribute, but not as much now. In the past two weeks, I've only sent in two sketches. None of them used.. lol... they've used older sketches of mine.

I'm busy with other projects at the moment, but I'll continue to contribute.

I ALSO quite like writing topical stuff.
You never know where it'll lead.

Who knows. A prodco exec might be in the audience, think "ooh, that's clever", research who wrote it, then hire you for some kind of Spitting Image/Headcases type show.
Of course, on the other hand, that might be bollocks.

I'm confused.

Had the usual email fron NR notifying me that a new cast/director are starting rehearsals next week, plus got another email with the new director's email.

Does this mean that NEXT WEEK, it will be a new run with new cast, or is next week the final week of the current run, and that the new run starts the week after?

Only reason I ask is because, when I submit material, I email it to the submission address, but carbon-copy it with the director's email address.

When a new director/cast starts, do you sometimes send in the exact same sketch that got rejected by the previous group?
(if it's still topically relevant and all that.)

Quote: zooo @ October 11 2008, 3:24 PM BST

When a new director/cast starts, do you sometimes send in the exact same sketch that got rejected by the previous group?
(if it's still topically relevant and all that.)

Yeah, I do tend to have a bad habit of resending unused sketches to the new director.

Sometimes it works.

Ah, innnnnteresting!...

Yeah, I do tend to have a bad habit of resending unused sketches to the new director.

It's not a bad habit it's the NewsRevue way!

Sometimes I resend ones that HAVE been used in previous runs, if they're still topical.

Quote: Mikey J @ October 11 2008, 5:27 PM BST

Sometimes I resend ones that HAVE been used in previous runs, if they're still topical.

At a NR writers meeting a few months ago, one of the NewsRevue production team said this was definitely ok, but a) you should always flag that up when you send it in and b) they would normally only re-use it a year or so later so as not to annoy regular audience members.

Yeah, I always mention in the email if it is a resend.

Quote: The Producer @ October 14 2008, 12:51 PM BST

At a NR writers meeting a few months ago, one of the NewsRevue production team said this was definitely ok, but a) you should always flag that up when you send it in and b) they would normally only re-use it a year or so later so as not to annoy regular audience members.

My initial question was more to do with if they hadn't used it.

I think there's more chance if they haven't used something.
New director, new cast, great opportunity as the new lot might like it.

Quote: zooo @ October 14 2008, 3:45 PM BST

My initial question was more to do with if they hadn't used it.

You can definitely do that, but again I think they'd prefer it if you do flag this up, and even more so if you give it a look over and improve slighly and/or can tweak it to refer to a newer news story (and tell them you've done that!). I've had a couple of things used by both NR and Treason Show on 2nd or 3rd attempt following a polish. Most likely to work on NR though due to the changing director, i.e. new director might have sense of humour closer to yours.

Run Number:Run 70
Week Number:5
Director:Sara Pascoe
MD:Chris Peake
Cast:Nick Helm, Caroline Mabey, Ciaran McConville, Nicola Redman

Sara Pascoe1Facebook Medley
Ciaran McConville2Richard and Judy #1
John Langford3Fears of a Town
Cast:4Gordon Brown Sex Primeminister
Cast:5Polite Weather
Terry Newman6iceland
Caroline Mabey7Hilary