British Comedy Guide

The worst feedback you ever had Page 2

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 9 2008, 11:49 AM BST

Feedback from Alomo (I think) about one of my first sitcoms about 14 years ago. It was awful and set in a pub. The reader had written the following across the front page in blood-red pen.

"It's all here, tired sexist humour, busty barmaids, gross characters, and all the jokes Cheers wouldn't touch with a bargepole." Teary

Whoever wrote it was spot on though.

Can I get a copy of that for when I want to feel good about myself?

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 9 2008, 11:44 AM BST

Not Micheal Jacob, then.

It's early days for me in the feedback stakes, although I once asked a girl out who told me she'd rather f**k a penguin.

Is no feedback better than bad feedback, or is all feedback good feedback?

I thin I took her to London Zoo, where she was arrested for gross indecency and disrespect to the kingdom of Norway.

Bandage the girl just really liked penguins.

Hmm I was heckled for 2 minutes by a rather ugly girl, who called me

"A vile f**king beast,'

through gritted teeth, made her leave in tears though.

Oh and some one at Tilt sent me an e-mail about Pirate sketches that mentioned the word cliche.

I don't think I ever bounced back from that.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 9 2008, 11:49 AM BST

Feedback from Alomo (I think) about one of my first sitcoms about 14 years ago. It was awful and set in a pub. The reader had written the following across the front page in blood-red pen.

"It's all here, tired sexist humour, busty barmaids, gross characters, and all the jokes Cheers wouldn't touch with a bargepole." Teary

Whoever wrote it was spot on though.

I just phoned Micheal J who was working there at the time. It was someone called Al Murray apparently. He took the script with him when he left so couldn't confirm the actual quote.

Worst feedback?

"This is SENSATIONAL!"

Don't seem to get anything worse than that. ;)

The worst feedback I had was the first feedback I had. The biggest blow was that the man said "It just wasn't funny" and an even bigger blow was that I kind of agreed.

He also said that one of my characters, a vicar, "beggered belief", although he did apologise for being quite "swiping" about the script, but thought that honmesty was the best policy.

Do people ever get really bad feedback nowadays? Since scriptwriters are also viewers and DVD buyers, I doubt you're ever likely to get anything too cutting for fear of alienating potential customers.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 9 2008, 11:52 AM BST

Well, I enjoyed writing "shitwit" across every page of your sitcom anyway...

Laughing out loud

That sort of constructive criticism was certainly beneficial, David.

Quote: chipolata @ October 9 2008, 12:25 PM BST

Do people ever get really bad feedback nowadays? Since scriptwriters are also viewers and DVD buyers, I doubt you're ever likely to get anything too cutting for fear of alienating potential customers.

I guess thats true although I have no doubt that their are people in the industry who are particularly difficult because of the position of power that they hold, I read an interview with a female writer who said that the only way for budding comedy writers to get into the industry was through competitions, which is bollocks.

It's these sort of people who have the mentality that they have succeeded but don't want anybody else to.

"There is nothing good about this script."

Quote: dannyjb1 @ October 9 2008, 12:51 PM BST

"There is nothing good about this script."

That's pretty explicit.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 9 2008, 12:52 PM BST

That's pretty explicit.

There was more, pretty much on the same theme, fortunatly is was better recieved elsewhere. :)

Someone on here said something along thew lines of: "It's very well written, but not at all funny. Theres nothing funny about your writing and you as a person are not funny" I've never had anything brutal from a Prod. company; but plenty of 'not for us' brush offs.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 9 2008, 1:00 PM BST

Someone on here said something along thew lines of: "It's very well written, but not at all funny. Theres nothing funny about your writing and you as a person are not funny" I've never had anything brutal from a Prod. company; but plenty of 'not for us' brush offs.

Surely there's no such thing as a well written sitcom that isn't funny. Unless they were complimenting you on your punctuation maybe.

What am I saying, you don't even bother using apostrophes.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 9 2008, 1:04 PM BST

What am I saying, you don't even bother using apostrophes.

Thats a blatant lie.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 9 2008, 1:04 PM BST

Surely there's no such thing as a well written sitcom that isn't funny.

That's (apostrophe! Happy?!) what I thought. But it was a general put down from a bloke on here who doesn't like me, I think.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 9 2008, 1:08 PM BST

That's (apostrophe! Happy?!) what I thought. But it was a general put down from a bloke on here who doesn't like me, I think.

What did I say?!