British Comedy Guide

The worst feedback you ever had

Get it all out of your system, folks.

I'll get the ball rolling. My worst feedback (from someone who will remain nameless) said that they wouldn't be offering comments on my script (or indeed reading past the first few pages) as it was "too BBC3"

How's that for a kick in the nuts?

It's too small and ends quickly... we are talking about script feedback yeah?

"But you're not funny. I'm the funny one." - my brother.

I sent two things to someone and got:

"I have to be honest with you and tell you that neither made me laugh, not even once."

They later went on to say that the second thing was:

"even less funny"

So, less funny than no laughs. Technically, I owe them some laughter now, worse than if I'd not sent anything in the first place.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 9 2008, 11:40 AM BST

I sent two things to someone and got:

"I have to be honest with you and tell you that neither made me laugh, not even once."

They later went on to say that the second thing was:

"even less funny"

So, less funny than no laughs. Technically, I owe them some laughter now, worse than if I'd not sent anything in the first place.

Dan

So you're in joke debit? Damn.

My favourite bit of bad feedback I ever had was:

"It reads really awkward."

Quote: David Bussell @ October 9 2008, 11:22 AM BST

Get it all out of your system, folks.

I'll get the ball rolling. My worst feedback (from someone who will remain nameless) said that they wouldn't be offering comments on my script (or indeed reading past the first few pages) as it was "too BBC3"

How's that for a kick in the nuts?

Not Micheal Jacob, then.

It's early days for me in the feedback stakes, although I once asked a girl out who told me she'd rather f**k a penguin.

Is no feedback better than bad feedback, or is all feedback good feedback?

Quote: Griff @ October 9 2008, 11:42 AM BST

My favourite bit of bad feedback I ever had was:

"It reads really awkward."

Brilliant.

You don't write so good.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 9 2008, 11:44 AM BST

It's early days for me in the feedback stakes, although I once asked a girl out who told me she'd rather f**k a penguin.

Orange or mint?

Quote: Leevil @ October 9 2008, 11:45 AM BST

Orange or mint?

In those days you only got the ordinary chocolate ones.

Feedback from Alomo (I think) about one of my first sitcoms about 14 years ago. It was awful and set in a pub. The reader had written the following across the front page in blood-red pen.

"It's all here, tired sexist humour, busty barmaids, gross characters, and all the jokes Cheers wouldn't touch with a bargepole." Teary

Whoever wrote it was spot on though.

Bad feedback is often better than positive feedback because it makes you rethink your work. Leads to self-improvement rather than self-satisfaction.

Bussell himself has given me the most enjoyable negative feedback I've received.

I'm so irrelevant people can't be bothered to give me bad feedback.

Quote: Tommy Power @ October 9 2008, 11:49 AM BST

Bad feedback is often better than positive feedback because it makes you rethink your work. Leads to self-improvement rather than self-satisfaction.

Bussell himself has given me the most enjoyable negative feedback I've received.

Well, I enjoyed writing "shitwit" across every page of your sitcom anyway...

Quote: sootyj @ October 9 2008, 11:50 AM BST

I'm so irrelevant people can't be bothered to give me bad feedback.

Scattershot would be a better word.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 9 2008, 11:49 AM BST

In those days you only got the ordinary chocolate ones.

How did you live? Like, what was the point of life? I mean, I don't even like mint or orange but it's nice to have options.