British Comedy Guide

Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 12

British TV tried remaking SNL for the UK in - I think, 1979 - with Ben Elton at the helm. It didn't succeed.

Good point that most of the US comics and comic writers whose work really travels are Jewish, usually from New York. Of the shows mentioned earlier only Frasier has significant Gentile contribution, and even then David Isaacs and Ken Levine wrote some of the best episodes.

Come to think of it, wasn't Eric Morecambe's real surname Bartholomew? Maybe they were both from Jewish backgrounds.

And Ernie's was Wiseman, yes.

Here's the thing - as a nation, Americans are precisely as stupid as we are. Idiots come in all shapes and sizes, be they trailer park hicks or thickos off a council estate, but really, stupid is stupid. It just so happens that America has more people than we do, and therefore more idiots. Lots more idiots.

More worrying than this preponderance of idiots though, are the people who make sweeping generalisations about other nations based on things they've learned from the TV. And that includes the so-called intelligent people. How many of these people actually take the time to go abroad and put their prejudices to the test? We've all heard the statistics for how few Americans own passports - we like to laugh at their lack of worldliness - but how many British people have ventured to America beyond a holiday to Disney World or a shopping weekend in NY?

Over the last six years I've been to the US an average of three times a year. I've been to all but ten of the States now. Believe me, from what I've seen, the Americans and British have a lot more in common than you might think. They have smart people and they have dumb people, just like we do. Likewise, they have good sitcoms and they have bad sitcoms. The ones you like and don't like are a question of taste. Just don't use a bad American sitcom as a means to justify a small-minded prejudice. So you don't like Friends? You wouldn't want to be judged on Two Pints, would you?

Good point, well made Mr Bussell.

I've never been to America myself, it's full of idiots.

I think Americans are more insular than Europeans, and this is doubtless because it is such a vast country. Americans do no need to go abroad to travel. Then there is sport. Popular spectator sports in the US, football, basketball, baseball, ice hockey, are not played widely outside of the US, and they tend not compete against teams from other nations (except Canada). Most Europeans have a basic idea of European geography if only from soccer competitions.

I do suspect that insularity makes them more resistant to film and television from other cultures. Mind you we British can be fairly resistant ourselves.

Three times a year? Why Bussell, I do declare that you have more money than you need, and should give some to me.

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 10:41 AM BST

Three times a year? Why Bussell, I do declare that you have more money than you need, and should give some to me.

I have f**k all money. What I have instead is a fiance who lives in Texas. You do the math/s.

So poontang costs a grand or so each time? Blimey.

*insert humourous quip about high class prostitutes here*

Why doesn't she move? Or indeed you?

Quote: David Bussell @ September 27 2008, 9:46 AM BST

There is some fantastic stuff coming out of America, for sure. But if you look at overall standards, British stuff probably appeals more.

Though my experience is not comparable to Mr. Bussell's, I think there are some cultural reasons for American comedy not being as consistently "good" as UK comedy. Firstly, Americans tend to take their culture, heritage and political principles very seriously. They've historically seen themselves as virtuous, 'favoured', moral, etc. As a result they've not taken to transgressive humour, and have been wary of self-deprecation. Secondly, America (like Australia) lacks the social maturity of the old European countries. Brits can take the piss out of themselves because they are generally comfortable with their history (having ruled the world for a couple of centuries) and their place in the world. The UK is a secular, affluent, progressive society (despite protestations to the contrary). Class systems encourage satire, global decline encourages black humour, education encourages sophistication. There is no cultural, social or political imperative which limits the scope for British humour (unlike in America). There are heaps of other reasons, and this is probably a facile attempt to explain the differences, but 'tis an attempt all the same.

Question is, are the Americans bad at comedy, or are you lot just really, really good? ;)

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 10:57 AM BST

So poontang costs a grand or so each time? Blimey.

*insert humourous quip about high class prostitutes here*

Why doesn't she move? Or indeed you?

I prefer to call it "global ass."

She will be moving soon, just as soon as we've cleared the last of the visa issues.

Tommy, I don't know that our comedy is better. If you ask me, the last time we were in the lead sitcom-wise was the nineties. What do we have to offer right now? I can't think of anything coming out of England that's even a patch on 30 Rock, The Office (American obviously), Curb or even The Venture Brothers. Except for Peep Show of course. That shit is golden.

This was the dude who inspired Sam Kinison and Bill Hicks. The grandpa of edgy American comedy.

Talk about taking the royal piss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxXkJoSgeXo

Why, I do declare that Tommy is a genius.

Or at least knows how to make it sound like he is.

Tommy also has some good points. But I like what Bussell said.

Some great debate on this subject. Two things though.
#1 Ice-hockey (as you call it) is popular in European Nordic countries and especially Russia. Not that it's relevant to the discussion or anything I just wanted to clear that up. :) Also...ever watch US American football? It's pretty fun to watch and play.
#2 I watched a documentary called something along the lines of "Why Canadians are so funny". The documentary pointed to Canada's early comedy viewings of...wait for it....British comedies which we received because the BBC and the CBC had strong ties (as they still do today...seriously watch at the end of a Dr. Who episode and you will see the Government of Canada logo in the credits). We too have a strong line of self deprecation in our humor. It's probably the core of most of our comedy and rarely did a comedy succeed in Canada unless it used self deprecation relating to Canadians. And keeping with that theme a lot of those comedians were either Canadian, lived near the Canadian border and talked about receiving Canadian TV signals (which had UK comedies), or honed their skills with Second City in either Chicago or Toronto.

My theory being they had a chance to experience different types of humor besides their own (much like UK comedians) plus the experience of being part of or around self deprecating humor of the UK/Canada/Jewish made for a comedically diverse performer.