British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

Should the Simpsons call it a day Page 2

I live in the states and it is on every day over and over again..I find it overly done and past its peak,,[no bottle throwing either]
from this side of the pond..all of the reruns are during kiddies tv time too.some mums do not like that..Valentine

I enjoy the simpsons. I dont make a date to watch it. If it is on & I am not watching anything else, then its good for a guarenteed giggle. I suppose its down to the creators to decide when enough is enough. I reckon we will be seeing the simpsons for years to come though. It is and will always be a cult tv series.New followers are born every day. I think while there are children and adults there will be the Simpsons

at what point do you think it jumped the shark?

Please, give the year or season or an episode title or something concrete... not "after the ep where Homer is so stupid that..."

I've seen the first seven seasons only (my friend lends me his DVDs now and then, when I have time to watch), and I was just wondering when to ask him to stop :P

Quote: WrongTale @ December 18, 2006, 12:19 PM

at what point do you think it jumped the shark?

Please, give the year or season or an episode title or something concrete... not "after the ep where Homer is so stupid that..."

I've seen the first seven seasons only (my friend lends me his DVDs now and then, when I have time to watch), and I was just wondering when to ask him to stop :P

My personal opinion is that between about Seasons 5-8 I reckon it hit a peak and the episodes are consistently brilliant.

That's not to say that anything after then isn't worth watching. There are still some absolute gems. For example, the one where Moe has plastic surgery (mind you - any episode with Moe in it is an absolute gem!).

I think that Series 2-8 were the best years of the show and it declined quickly after that. I have the book which covers the first 8 seasons and almost all of the quotes in it are absolutely superb. It's suffered the same fate as many other sitcoms since then though and lost many of its most talented writers.

Question: Should the Simpsons call it a day?

Ansewr: YES!!!!!!!

Yes, it's definitely had its day. When the original team largely left after season 8 it gradually became an embarassment to the legacy, dominated by far-fetched plots with random largely-unfunny jokes and a dislikable Homer.

I think it started going downhill around the time all the characters started saying "Whaaaa?!" whenever they express shock/disbelief.

Quote: MartinJSUK @ September 27 2008, 12:54 AM BST

Yes, it's definitely had its day. When the original team largely left after season 8 it gradually became an embarassment to the legacy, dominated by far-fetched plots with random largely-unfunny jokes and a dislikable Homer.

Right on the money.
Put the show out to pasture, or perhaps try guest writers for one season.
Offer some of the best comedy writers of our time (alive of course ;) )free range, go nuts do whatever they want.

I don't have sky. I only ever watch The Simpsons on channel 4. I have no idea what season I'm watching. Huh?

I'd go along with this. Whenever I catch new episodes, it just seems disjointed. The family angle of the show seems to have completely gone. Each episode seems to revolve around each member of the family having seperate adventures. Or they just send the whole family to a far off location.

It'll be sad when it goes, but all good things etc.

It's still better than Mock the Week.

It's still better than anything else comedy wise on the TV imo.

And I've seen every episode.

a dislikable Homer.

What? There will never be a dislikable Homer! No, the TV show's not as good as it was, but it's still fun to watch. Below standard Simpsons is still better than most TV. What did everyone think of the film? I loved it. I thought the film was almost as good as the TV show at its peak!

I disliked the film and never want to see it again.