British Comedy Guide

Everybody Hates Chris

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I saw the first series avaliable at Woolworths for £15 and I'd wondering if it's any good? I've seen a few clips and quite liked them, and Chris Rock is a very good stand up, so is the show worth checking out?

For £15, I'd say go on. If you don't like it, there's always eBay or trading on here!

Quote: chipolata @ February 14, 2008, 3:07 PM

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I saw the first series avaliable at Woolworths for £15 and I'd wondering if it's any good? I've seen a few clips and quite liked them, and Chris Rock is a very good stand up, so is the show worth checking out?

I personally liked it, very much a black 80's sitcom feel to it (possibly because it's set in the 80's).

I wouldn't buy it only because I can pretty much watch it on Paramount whenever I want, but it's worth a bash.

Its a good show, the mom and dad in particular are great characters. Not, in my opinion,must watch TV, but one of those shows, like My Name Is Earl, thats worthwhile and enjoyable viewing if you catch it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 14, 2008, 8:22 PM

Its a good show, the mom and dad in particular are great characters. Not, in my opinion,must watch TV, but one of those shows, like My Name Is Earl, thats worthwhile and enjoyable viewing if you catch it.

My Name Is Earl rocks :O

From the half-dozen episodes I've seen it's a good show, making better use of the 'flashback' and 'voice-over from the main character's mind' than a lot of others. It's warm without being too sentimental, and politically aware without being preachy. Surprisingly family-friendly considering most of Chris' work, but just as witty.

I really wanted to like this show, when it first came on, but I think it's pretty poor. If I was a kid, I'd probably love it.

I rather enjoy this. It's like a black, not quite so good, Malcolm in the Middle.

I liked MITM, but not this. But I can't stand Chris Rock, though I wouldn't say I hate him.

It's nothing like Chris Rock stand up in my opinion.
Like Paul said, it's more like a throw back to some of the better US 80's family comedies.
Overall though it's a little weak in my opinion. I watch it once and a while but i don't try and find it.
If I was to give it one good review it would be this: Best Family Comedy out of the US since Malcolm in the Middle's first few seasons.
I'd also say that after a few seasons it's still 'good'.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 27 2008, 2:57 PM BST

I rather enjoy this. It's like a black, not quite so good, Malcolm in the Middle.

I see it as a black, not quite so good version of The Wonder Years.

By the way, did you know Chris Rock is 20% white?

20%! That makes him practically a black man!

Dan

He did a DNA test, on some T.V. show, and was told his ancestors originally came from Cameroon, apart from the 20% of him that's Caucasian.

To only very slightly paraphrase a sciency type person on another site who wrote abuot those programmes:

"It's like saying that because you have four limbs and two eyes, you're 68% dog."