British Comedy Guide

The Writers Bureau Page 2

Or you could try the Open University 'Advanced Creative Writing' course which covers film and theatre writing. It also has deadlines.

I read an article about this by one of the Guardian writers (Sue Arnold?), who had fallen for this scam in her youth, and was moaning about it.

If I remember rightly, the way this particular scam works is that the second exercise they set you is absolutely impossible. Something like "Now write a 50,000 word travel feature about some exotic foreign destination. With photos. And interviews of the locals. And find some long-lost treasure while you're out there...". Almost nobody has the perseverance to bother with this after barely having started, and they count on this.

Not all correspondence courses are bad. I did one in journalism many years ago which led to a "proper" diploma, ie one where you had to send off to the QCA or someone. I know, who gives a f**k about "diplomas", McDonalds give diplomas to their burger-flippers, but it goes down well on the CV when I apply for copywriting jobs.

Griff - what you say puts a new spin on things.

Bahh...perhaps I'm just looking for magic answers, when what I really should be doing is getting my head down and just writing...

Def.

My brother took the course many years ago. He sold many articles to magazines afterwards and eventually taught on the course himself. Since then he's published a book of poetry and four or five novels. He now writes screenplays and is a movie director. He said the course helped him a lot.
When he worked for Writer's Bureau he told me that the biggest problem was that most people that took the course believed they were great writers already. They didn't want help or criticism, they just wanted to be discovered. Also, instead of completing the tasks as requested they tried to show they were unique and talented by subverting the task. So when asked to describe a market scene they would start off doing this then drop an alien into the mix.
So, if you can be arsed doing as you're told it might be worth it. I do not work for Writer's Bureau and have never taken the course. I just thought it's worth pointing out it can work for some people.

Quote: YesNo @ September 26 2008, 5:17 PM BST

when asked to describe a market scene they would start off doing this then drop an alien into the mix.

:D

I love this writer.... http://www.sathnam.com/Columns/120/why-not-be-a-writer

:)

I signed up for WB back in the late 1980's when I was a mere teenager.

I did a few assignments, then just.... well... kinda lost interest and stopped doing it.

I think my view at the time was "what else can they teach me?"

Mind you, these days, I can't see the point of courses, UNLESS you need some kind of diploma for journalism.

But, with writing in general, such as novels, TV, plays etc, if you're not good enough then surely no course is going to change that.

Prodco's, agents and publishers look for a unique voice and great storytelling.
Either you have it or you don't.

Full version of the article pointed out by Mannikin (thanks MB) is here:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/columnists/article3378297.ece

and very interesting it is too.

Looooong time lurker - 1st post.

I signed up for one of their courses a few years back. Wasn't overly impressed by the pack they sent but had a go at the first assignment anyway. Feedback from my tutor was pretty good. Consequently had a crack at the 2nd assignment. To cut a long story short I got feedback saying that some of it was written in the wrong tense. Trouble was, as a fully qualified English teacher I knew full well that it wasn't! When I wrote back and explained this and asked my tutor to explain in more detail some of her other comments, I never heard anything back!!

Pretty bad I thought and I should have really pursued it & maybe even got my money back but I couldn't be bothered chasing it up.

As for the pack they sent - what I really wanted to know was the best way to approach publishers. The advice they gave was laughable. Basically came down to sending your draft in with a covering letter. I'd already guessed that much!

Often wondered what would happen if I suddenly sent in assignment 3. After all, you're supposed to be able to do the course in your own time. 6 years between assignments is pretty average isn't it? :$

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole either & I wish I'd come across a thread like this back then before I took the plunge. Oh well, you live & learn.

*barge pole

*pursued

;)

I knew that if I said I was an English teacher someone would find the mistakes.

I was tired (or is it tyred? :P ) & I was typing quickly.

Don't think I'll take up proof reading....

PS: I'm not an English teacher anymore

Quote: Stuart Collie @ September 26 2008, 9:21 PM BST

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole either & I wish I'd come across a thread like this back then before I took the plunge. Oh well, you live & learn.

Thanks Stuart for the input, and thanks to everyone else who has offered up their thoughts and opinions on this thread. I have now made up my mind and I will not be considering this course any longer.

Def.

I did the full course.

I find it to be a nice little earner.

(They pay me to keep quiet about it)