British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 374

Citizen Kane is just NOT the best film ever made. It might have been when it was new. But there have been so many made since then, it's just stubborness to insist it's still the 'best'.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 25 2008, 1:59 PM BST

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Only a studenty person would say that. Get a job! ;)

Me and yous gonna have words 'fella-fist words!! Pleased

Quote: zooo @ September 25 2008, 1:58 PM BST

I saw Citizen Kane at the cinema a few years ago. It was interesting but bloody hell.

I know it was great and innovative at the time, and should be studied as great cinema history, blah, blah. But... f**k me. Its time has passed.

Tis a great film. But you're right about everyone 'going on' about it. It's a bit annoying.

We need a Griff-like 'Films you love or loathe' thread so we can give Aaron some quality films to start his movie knowledge quest with.

He wouldn't take any notice. :)

Quote: zooo @ September 25 2008, 2:01 PM BST

Citizen Kane is just NOT the best film ever made. It might have been when it was new. But there have been so many made since then, it's just stubborness to insist it's still the 'best'.

Not THE best, because such a thing doesn't exist. If there had been ten films made, then I think you could name a best, but there have been thousands and thousands. I saw Kane for the first time when I was 20, and it still blew me away and connected; it's just astounding stuff.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 25 2008, 1:59 PM BST

Only by clever people who know what they're talking about. Not some f**king no-neck with a 'Snatch' poster and an Empire subscription.

Snatch sucked balls. And I stopped reading Empire a couple of years ago. Why bother? It's all online nowadays.

Quote: zooo @ September 25 2008, 2:02 PM BST

He wouldn't take any notice. :)

True.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 25 2008, 2:03 PM BST

Not THE best, because such a thing doesn't exist. If there had been ten films made, then I think you could name a best, but there have been thousands and thousands. I saw Kane for the first time when I was 20, and it still blew me away and connected; it's just astounding stuff.

I can allow that.
:)

Quote: zooo @ September 25 2008, 2:06 PM BST

I can allow that.
:)

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 25 2008, 2:04 PM BST

Snatch sucked balls.

Well thank goodness someone dislikes this film as much as my good self. I was under the impression it was universally loved but it really was piss, almost self-satirical.

Lock Stock was good. But I can't think of anything else he's done that warrants attention.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 25 2008, 2:15 PM BST

Lock Stock was good. But I can't think of anything else he's done that warrants attention.

I liked Lock, Stock... But it has the most ludicrous German title: Bube, Dame, König, Gras. What *were* they thinking. You can babelfish that. It won't get worse.

Dear Ask Jeeves,

What does it mean when someone quotes you but doesn't say anything?

Thanks,

zooo.

Quote: Finck @ September 25 2008, 2:17 PM BST

I liked Lock, Stock... But it has the most ludicrous German title: Bube, Dame, König, Gras. What *were* they thinking. You can babelfish that. It won't get worse.

It doesn't even make sense!

Quote: Finck @ September 25 2008, 2:17 PM BST

Ha!

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 25 2008, 2:15 PM BST

Madonna?

And even her time is passing...