British Comedy Guide

Interview with an established writer? Page 2

When will we see the new website, Mark? Is there a set date?

Quote: gertiedog @ September 25 2008, 12:48 PM BST

I prefer the interviews with less established writers; their small victories give me hope.

That is a good point. However, going back to someone like John Sullivan, he wasn't in the industry to start with and got his career off the ground by himself.

Although their are interviews from Sullivan out there, it would be good to have one purely for this site if it was possible.

If you're looking for an interview with John Sullivan, then you are looking in the wrong place. I started Meet the Writers to give a platform to folk with one foot on the ladder, so they could share their experiences with us all and give us a glimpse of hope.

I passed it onto Bussell Balboa. He can take it in any direction he wishes (as long as I get my 10%).

Love the hair, nice to see the real 'you' at last!

Agree with your point there btw. Those guys who have one foot on the ladder are where I would like to be so it's interesting to read their stuff and points.

Isn't the problem with talking to established writers that they'll only talk to you if they have something to plug. And they're only likely to talk to people who talk up their work a lot. Hence you get the Okay/Chat scenario where interviews become mere puff pieces for a product.

Quote: chipolata @ September 25 2008, 1:13 PM BST

Isn't the problem with talking to established writers that they'll only talk to you if they have something to plug. And they're only likely to talk to people who talk up their work a lot. Hence you get the Okay/Chat scenario where interviews become mere puff pieces for a product.

Yep. I used to be a journalist. You normally only get hold of person if there's some PR in it for them. One could try contacting a writer, perhaps someone who's retired, and ask nicely if they would do a Q&A with some aspiring writers, but doubt there's many people can spare the time and do it for nothing.

What about getting Carla Lane? She seems to be up to f**k all at the moment. She could come on here for a good old whinge

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 25 2008, 1:18 PM BST

What about getting Carla Lane?

Not true. She has to rescue elephants with their trunks stuck up their own anuses.

I've tried that.

With or without the elephant?

Quote: Leevil @ September 25 2008, 1:10 PM BST

If you're looking for an interview with John Sullivan, then you are looking in the wrong place. I started Meet the Writers to give a platform to folk with one foot on the ladder, so they could share their experiences with us all and give us a glimpse of hope.

I passed it onto Bussell Balboa. He can take it in any direction he wishes (as long as I get my 10%).

I'm not looking for an interview specifically with John Sullivan, but somebody like him, Croft, Perry, Lynn, Clement, Chappell, someone like that. I know Meet The Writers isn't the place to find interviews with these types of people, my initial post was to see whether interviews with established writers like the above could be a possibility.

Quote: chipolata @ September 25 2008, 1:20 PM BST

Not true. She has to rescue elephants with their trunks stuck up their own anuses.

Who's going to rescue her head from her anus?!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 25 2008, 1:23 PM BST

With or without the elephant?

Elephant? ;)

I'll roll it across the goal and you tap it in - isn't that what they say! :)

I wouldn't know sir, what with being a gentleman and that. ;)