British Comedy Guide

Interview with an established writer?

First of all I just want to say that I mean no disrespect to any of the writers who have taken part in the Meet the Writers section, it's proved very informative for me.

I was just wondering though what the chances would be of this website getting an interview with someone like a John Sullivan, Jonathan Lynn or David Croft or someone who has had established success as a writer?

If you look through the archives on the site there have been some interviews conducted with 'higher-profile' writers. I'm not sure whether these conform to what you wanted or not but most are an interesting read anyway.

Thanks for that although I have been through the archive section which as you say is a good read.

I just thought it might be interesting to hear from someone like Sullivan or Croft who have more than one great sitcom to their name.

I know from what Mark has told me that he'd like to see interviews with established writers once the site has relaunched.

I've already scoped out some 'names' for a possible MTW but, for reasons quite beyond me, the writing elite are quick to dodge a volley from my rancour cannon.

Google their names. There's bound to be loads of newspaper, etc interviews online with these writers.

For example, here's a video interview with John Sullivan http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/onlyfools/interviews/sullivan.shtml

I know writers such as these have done numerous interviews before, but being interviewed for this site would be different. All the John Sullivan interviews I've read recently have all just asked questions like 'Will there be any more OFAH?'.

As writers we would get the opportunity to get some great advice and tips from the best.

That sort of info is in the interviews already out there. Have you tried that link yet? Sullivan discusses creating characters, his inspirations, etc.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ September 25 2008, 10:38 AM BST

That sort of info is in the interviews already out there. Have you tried that link yet? Sullivan discusses creating characters, his inspirations, etc.

Sorry didn't see that you'd put a link in, thanks.

You're welcome :)

I haven't looked at the stuff on there either yet, but looks quite good.

I think i watched this interview a few years back, but won't do any harm to watch again.

From what I've heard John Sullivan is quite a shy man so it's rare that you'll get a filmed interview with him, I only know of two.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ September 25 2008, 10:14 AM BST

First of all I just want to say that I mean no disrespect to any of the writers who have taken part in the Meet the Writers section, it's proved very informative for me.

I was just wondering though what the chances would be of this website getting an interview with someone like a John Sullivan, Jonathan Lynn or David Croft or someone who has had established success as a writer?

I think David's Meet The Writers interviews are great and so different from all the other interviews out there - they're something I'm looking to give more prominence to on the new website (which is definitely eventually coming... big news update on the new site in a week or two incidentally!)

We'll also see if we can get some 'big name' writers to take part in Meet The Writers then, but it's going to be hard. We have to go through agents and such like and, as you can imagine, they have lots of requirements which, due to the more daring nature of Meet The Writers, it is going to be hard to meet.

We will certainly continue to bring interviews via the normal, more boring, website... the latest two we have published are here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/no_heroics/interview/ https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/strangers_on_trains/interview/

We have some really 'big name' interviews lined up for the new website so when that is launched I'm sure your appetite for interviews will be met!

I think articles from writers who have their feet on the lower levels of the ladder of writing success are far more interesting. They are 'doing it now' and so it's relevant.

The opinion of the 'industry leaders' is often coloured by their own current/past success and may even be out of date in terms of the current market opportunities for new writers.

Of course, great writing is great writing but a lot of sitcom writing is of it's time, at least to some extent.

Marc P's already been talked to. Surely there's no need to talk to anybody else? :)

Are people who write soaps not too "clean", though? Huh?

I prefer the interviews with less established writers; their small victories give me hope.