British Comedy Guide

Baby Cow Page 3

Quote: Sam Caine @ June 12, 2007, 5:00 PM

Well, Baby Cow's stuff is consistantly good. So that would suggest otherwise.

No, you misunderstand. I meant they wouldn't be interested in it because of the subject matter. Baby Cow is a pre-eminent production company and hugely respected. I don't even mean that BC wouldn't put out a domestic comedy, but with a large number of scripts going through it might not excite the attention of a reader enough to read it.

Oh yeah. I get what you mean. There stuff does tend to be 'cutting edge', so to speak.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 12, 2007, 4:26 PM

Steve, I read "Crazy Little Thing" ages ago when I was a lurker. It's the one with the nappy/packed lunch right?

Excellent piece of writing – although a bit too sweary for something with babies in it. I can believe that Baby Cow wouldn't be interested in it, but didn't you send it to the writersroom as well? If you got nothing from them, then that would confirm what many of us think on here that their readers wouldn't know a good script from an arse bracket.

Hi Godot, yeah, nappy packed lunch was me. Thanks for the kind words. And I agree, probably too much swearing. Although I'm just waiting for the time my baby boy quotes 'O for f**ks sake' back at me. I know I shouldn't, but I swear all the time. O, is that the sound of social services knocking?

The response I got from writers room led me to believe that they'd read it to the end at least, and they were possitive, just not possitive enough. I just want to write something that I'd watch on prime time instead of all the things that leave me cold.

Have you read my next project? 10 pages or so on the critique entitled Keeping Mum? Still a family type of mainstream idea, but with less swearing and, I hope, more of a plot.

Rowan Atkinson starred in a film called "Keeping Mum." I just thought i should point that out.

I've got a couple of questions regarding Baby Cow.

- What do they mean by a treatment? Is it just an outline of the episode you send or is it an outline of the series as a whole?

- Are they one of the better production companies to go to if you have a sitcom pilot?

Thanks for any answers

Treatment is like the blurb on the back of DVDS. It should explain the sitcom and its dynamics but in as short a time as possible

Yes they are one of the better production companies but like most they go for established writers or prooven comedians.

So, it will explain the basic premise of the series, because the explanation on the website is a bit ambiguous.

Is there unsolicited service good though, would they be more likely to pick up an unsolicited script than the Writers Room?

Thanks

Quote: ajp29 @ June 14, 2007, 12:13 PM

...Yes they are one of the better production companies but like most they go for established writers or prooven comedians.

Which is totally re-cock-ulous. They should go for writing that interests and amuses them. F**k who it has come from. Read it! Does it amuse? Then who the hell cares who wrote it?

Remember: The established & proven were once invisible. Mustn't give up banging our heads against the door until we bust through.

Yes it will but keep it brief and only include necessary character dynamics and the overall conflict in the series as well as location.

Its a lottery on whether you will get anywhere with production companies. It also takes a long time. What you should do is send your script to as many companies as possible and see if its picked up. But the chances of it being picked up are small. If you can do anything else to imporve your CV such as writing for Newsrevue or the Treason Show or stand up then do that aswell.

Quote: Skibbington von Skubber @ June 14, 2007, 12:19 PM

Which is totally re-cock-ulous. They should go for writing that interests and amuses them. F**k who it has come from. Read it! Does it amuse? Then who the hell cares who wrote it?

Remember: The established & proven were once invisible. Mustn't give up banging our heads against the door until we bust through.

Business is all about safe bets Skibbington. Thats capitalism.

If you were to get interest for your project, what happens next? Do they ask for a full script, or ask what other projects you have?

They ask you for a full script but they may take a months just to read the ten pages.

There are some good treatments in the critique forum that you may want to look at, just to see how to write them.

Thanks. I'll have a look.

Just wanted to say. I had a response from John at baby cow within 3 days which was quite shocking. John wrote.

Baby cow do not have a sketch show in the offing at the moment but your material is on file should the situation change.

I am assuming that is a nice way of saying Bog OFF.

So you sent it to John's email, not the general one?