British Comedy Guide

Current radio comedy... Page 7

Which isn't anything to cry about if you miss.

Quote: Aaron @ August 28 2008, 12:19 PM BST

Which isn't anything to cry about if you miss.

Because it is rubbish, or because the entire series is alreay on YouTube?

Well I certainly wouldn't know about the latter. I'm just saying that it's not a surprise to me that it hasn't been repeated ad-infinitum.

Another excellent episode of Bleak Expectations last night. Easily the funniest thing on TV or radio at the moment. Has the writer done anything else, either telly or radio?

According to his Wikipedia article, he has also written for "That Mitchell and Webb Look/Sound", "The Late Edition", "Popetown", "Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway", and recorded a pilot for Radio 4 called "Zoom". He also made appearances in TMAWL and "Saxondale".

Quote: chipolata @ August 29 2008, 12:12 PM BST

Another excellent episode of Bleak Expectations last night. Easily the funniest thing on TV or radio at the moment.

Loved it! Such clever use of words.

For the record, I've also enjoyed the following this week (names link to iPlayer):

Rhod Gilbert: appearing on Sean Locks' Radio 2 show (12.45 mins in). A fantastic, energetic stand-up set about bed linen which shows just why he deserved the if.comedy nomination.

Charm Offensive: I normally find this show a bit smug and surreal to properly enjoy, however Friday's episode was the best Charm Offensive I've heard in a long time thanks to a quality line-up of guests (as observed, they're all TV panel show captains/hosts this week). At one point David Mitchell suggests that wars are just loss-leaders for the subsequent museums. Funny stuff.

Quote: Mark @ August 31 2008, 1:07 PM BST

Charm Offensive: I normally find this show a bit smug and surreal to properly enjoy, however Friday's episode was the best Charm Offensive I've heard in a long time thanks to a quality line-up of guests (as observed, they're all TV panel show captains/hosts this week). At one point David Mitchell suggests that wars are just loss-leaders for the subsequent museums. Funny stuff.

I listened to that too. It was great. An older episode is being repeated on BBC 7 tonight at 22:00.

I just (admittedly about four months after broadcast) listened to John Finnemore, Apparently; one of those Happy Mondays pilot shows.

It was very, very, very funny and really clever sketches too. I hope they make a series out of it. There was a very funny rant about credit card security details which was probably the high point, but other sketches made me giggle on the bus too.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 2 2008, 9:09 AM BST

I just (admittedly about four months after broadcast) listened to John Finnemore, Apparently; one of those Happy Mondays pilot shows.

This was a good show. And it's high time John Finnemore became the bride rather than just the bridesmaid.

Didn't hear the Finnemore show, but he did write and star in the recent R4 sitcom 'Cabin Pressure'. That was a good show and I'd recommend a listen if it happens to be repeated soon, which I'm sure it will.

Quote: chipolata @ September 2 2008, 11:02 AM BST

This was a good show. And it's high time John Finnemore became the bride rather than just the bridesmaid.

Well, he did get his own show in the rather excellent Cabin Pressure - does that count as being a bride?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some of his stuff with transfer to TV soon!

EDIT: ah, John Lucas beat me to it! I believe a repeat run of Cabin Pressure is being lined-up incidently.

Hurray!

If anyone can get hold of Unnatural Acts, with Jeremy Hardy, I will give you a bright shiny pound.

Anybody heard Edge Falls and have any opinions on it? It's been pretty well recieved but when I listened to other night I wasn't blown away. That said, it's always nice to hear the mighty Mark Benton.

I heard a bit of series 1 and didn't think it was great. It certainly wasn't *that* funny (and didn't seem to attempt to be). Though maybe I was in a bad mood.

I just listened to the first episode of 'Happy Mondays'' The Odd Half-Hour. Excellent. Very well constructed sketches. I like lots.

Dan