British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,856

Talking of utter hypocrisy , tories up in arms today of chagos islands sovereignty decision...

Meanwhile one year ago :-

"UK agrees to negotiate with Mauritius over handover of Chagos Islands

Foreign secretary indicates major reversal of policy that could allow return of people expelled by Britain in 1970s

Patrick Wintour Diplomatic editor
Fri 4 Nov 2022 11.13 GMT
The UK has agreed to open negotiations with Mauritius over the future handover of the Chagos Islands, in a major reversal of policy following years of resistance and legal defeats in international courts.

The intended agreement will allow for the return of former inhabitants of the Chagos archipelago who were forcibly displaced by the British government in the 1960s and 1970s. The UK would intend to maintain control of its strategic Indian Ocean military base in Diego Garcia, which it leases to the US.

In a written ministerial statement the foreign secretary, James Cleverly, said the aim was to reach a settlement with Mauritius early next year. It follows talks between the then prime minister, Liz Truss, and Mauritius officials in New York in October. The UK has twice been defeated in the international courts over the issue and, with ministers intent on a tilt to the Indo-Pacific, it was felt the British resistance to a handover was hampering the UK's ability to build alliances in the region. The US appears to have received satisfactory assurances about its base."

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd October 2024, 12:09 PM

Is that how it goes then?
Tories accept gifts - very bad.
Labour accept gifts - of no consequence.

You can't educate pork.

It's all legal, that's the point.
(Whether it should be is another matter - KS looks like he wants to address this)
So if the right start throwing stones - then surely the rules apply to both sides?
Only mentioning one side (the side that has offended the least, might I add) sounds like political bias.
Hardly 'neutral' is it , SG?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd October 2024, 12:09 PM

You can't educate pork.

I wouldn't bring up pork when you're defending the Tories doing weird stuff.

I was wondering why Boris was having this big BBC interview anyway, then I remembered the millionaire grifter has a shitty book to sell

Carry on

Nigel Farage: The Chagos agreement "is a disaster" and "our American allies will be furious."

U.S. embassy (Our American allies):- "The US welcomes the historic agreement" and "is pleased to see the successful outcome."

Nigel Farage - tit

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th October 2024, 3:57 PM

Nigel Farage: The Chagos agreement "is a disaster" and "our American allies will be furious."

U.S. embassy (Our American allies):- "The US welcomes the historic agreement" and "is pleased to see the successful outcome."

Nigel Farage - tit

But the Chagos people are not happy either.

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th October 2024, 3:57 PM

In which diplomatic niceities are believed to be gospel truth.

Boris now says he regrets saying "sorry" for Partygate

Well most of us knew he wasn't in the slightest bit sorry , so it's hardly an earth shattering revelation

Quote: Aaron @ 4th October 2024, 7:52 PM

In which diplomatic niceities are believed to be gospel truth.

Is the President of the United States just being nice too?

"I applaud the historic agreement and conclusion of the negotiations between the Republic of Mauritius and the United Kingdom on the status of the Chagos Archipelago. It is a clear demonstration that through diplomacy and partnership, countries can overcome long-standing historical challenges to reach peaceful and mutually beneficial outcomes. This agreement affirms Mauritian sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago, while granting the United Kingdom the authority to exercise the sovereign rights of Mauritius with respect to Diego Garcia. "

Yes Nigel , he is absolutely furious....

Argentina looking on with interest...

They can look all they like, but there's more likely to be a Military takeover of Starmer than the Falklands being given up if anyone knows anything about the British Army.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th October 2024, 8:07 AM

They can look all they like, but there's more likely to be a Military takeover of Starmer than the Falklands being given up if anyone knows anything about the British Army.

This is Starmer we're talking about. What if he were offered, in exchange, tickets to the next Argentina game. Or a free poncho?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th October 2024, 8:07 AM

but there's more likely to be a Military takeover of Starmer

If only...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th October 2024, 8:39 AM

This is Starmer we're talking about. What if he were offered, in exchange, tickets to the next Argentina game. Or a free poncho?

Throw in a natty suit and it's a done deal.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd October 2024, 10:01 AM

It's very true. He's a sanctimonious hypocrite and all-round human turd.

Interesting silence..........

I know if it had been me posted that, he would have been foaming at the mouth, and God knows what he would have called me

I'm sure Lofty's been called worse things.

Boris binned from another (fatuous, book-promoting) TV interview because he doesn't want anyone taking notes.
I bet he doesn't.