British Comedy Guide

Cheers Page 7

Just re watching the last season of this again and really enjoying it. I disagree that it went downhill towards the end. It seems as strong as ever to me. Time has been very kind to it.

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd March 2020, 11:51 AM

Just re watching the last season of this again and really enjoying it. I disagree that it went downhill towards the end. It seems as strong as ever to me. Time has been very kind to it.

Very pleased - and surprised - to see the late great John Mahoney appear in the final season as a jngle writer. Fun to see him and Frasier interacting, knowing that he would be playing his dad within a year.

Really surprised to see a UK remake is on the cards. I do miss Simon Nye in comedy mode, he's been writing comedy dramas for so long I am looking forward to seeing a new sitcom from him even if I'd rather he'd just written a pub sitcom rather than linking it in any way with Cheers.

The idea of a remake is really weird, but I still think it might end up being good.
I also have a feeling it won't have much to do with Cheers at all in the end, and they will just use it as a very vague jumping off point. I really can't imagine that the characters will literally be called Sam and Norm etc.
But maybe I'm wrong.

Yes but what was Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps please? (Apart from a song by Spoldgenessabounds)

Presumably the UK version won't say "Cheers is filmed before a live studio audience" at the beginning, or indeed have any laugh track at all. Maybe it'll be a more cynical, downbeat thing like The Office. Cliff is like Gareth, and Sam will do an appalling dance routine. And Norm's eternal bar tab will be astronomical considering the price of a pint nowadays.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st October 2024, 2:35 PM

Yes but what was Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps please?

Answers on a postcard please

Quote: chipolata @ 5th March 2020, 11:48 AM

Very pleased - and surprised - to see the late great John Mahoney appear in the final season as a jngle writer. Fun to see him and Frasier interacting, knowing that he would be playing his dad within a year.

Ah you knowing, rather than him knowing
Roz is in an episode as well maybe as a reporter or something to do with an election I can't remember

But Mahoney's turn is a good one
His Jingle: Beer and Pretzels are our game C H E R S
just so it scanned with the one tune he used for every Jingle