British Comedy Guide

Crisps! Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ 28th September 2024, 12:58 PM

Apart from Roast Chicken,

They are called Crispy Roast chicken these days

Quote: chipolata @ 28th September 2024, 7:22 PM

I'd ban Chappers from the forum for that bit of salt and vinegar hate.

Seconded

I don't want to be banned but ....
Salt and Vinegar is good on a portion of chips
but crisp flavours have moved on since 1954

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th September 2024, 9:11 AM

I we're going back in time, I used to love Smith's Oxo flavour

Yeah so did I as a young nipper, they weren't around for long though.

Quote: zooo @ 28th September 2024, 9:05 AM

Bring back Walkers worcester sauce flavour! (In purple.)

Yes, don't know why they pulled them, very moreish. And what about marmite flavour, most moreish crisp ever. Bag of six gone in one go.

Best flavour I've recently had is Smoked Kentucky Barbeque with Whiskey Limited Edition ridge crisps from Aldi who do excellent crisps. Another good one is Garlic Bread flavour.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th September 2024, 8:07 AM

Yeah so did I as a young nipper, they weren't around for long though.

Sadly 😒

Do they still do Quavers? I loved letting them dissolve on my tongue.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 29th September 2024, 2:58 AM

I don't want to be banned but ....
Salt and Vinegar is good on a portion of chips
but crisp flavours have moved on since 1954

Very clever, Sunshine. You're going down the dog whistle route to avoid being seen as an out and out hater

I'm sure I remember Hedgehog flavour. Obviously a gimmick and they were horrible.

BUT Salt and Vinegar peanuts, I have never understood - salt and vinegar crisps lovely! Peanuts lovely! But together NO THANK YOU!! 🤢

I've never understood peanuts, although strictly speaking this should be in the Nuts! thread.

I used to like the ones with the blue bags of salt. It was always exciting in the cinema, in the dark, as to whether you'd popped a crisp into your mouth or a bagful of salt.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th September 2024, 9:10 AM

I've never understood peanuts, although strictly speaking this should be in the Nuts! thread.

The link was salt and vinegar, besides I don't think there is a Nuts! (🎶Whole hazelnuts! Cadbury's take 'em and..........🎵) thread

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th September 2024, 9:36 AM

I used to like the ones with the blue bags of salt. It was always exciting in the cinema, in the dark, as to whether you'd popped a crisp into your mouth or a bagful of salt.

I remember as a kid the thrill of finding two, and even sometimes three blue twists of salt in a packet, looking on it as though it was some sort of prize, like finding the plastic toy in a packet of cereal.

Speaking of blue twists of salt, as we were - I well remember a school visit to the Smith's crisp factory in Gt. Yarmouth in the mid-1950s and being mesmerised by the machine that made those little blue twists

I once designed the controls for a machine for slitting crisp bags
Not a joke - a true story, and it was for Walkers.

At least once a week, the operatives put crisps in the wrong label packets.
It was only discovered when the 'tasters checked the quality and found they were tasting smokey bacon from a cheese and onion bag.
By then 10.000 wrong bags had been mis-labled and the only option was to open every bag by hand and put the crisps in the right lane.

The machine allowed them to throw the bags by the boxful into a hopper and the slitter cut the bags open. The empty bags went one way and the crisps back to the line. (I got plenty freebies while testing it)

Quote: chipolata @ 29th September 2024, 8:58 AM

Do they still do Quavers? I loved letting them dissolve on my tongue.

They still do Quavers! And Skips! And Discos and French Fries! And Hula Hoops and Chipsticks!

I love crisps a normal amount.

Quote: zooo @ 29th September 2024, 11:30 AM

They still do Quavers! And Skips! And Discos and French Fries! And Hula Hoops and Chipsticks!

I love crisps a normal amount.

It can't be long until you have that massive coronary/stroke, zooo.

That said, I do fancy some chipsticks now.

They're basically just a healthy vegetable. 🥔