British Comedy Guide

Time Bandits (1981)

I Haven't watched this since i was younger so don't remember it much I thought I might watch it tonight
It's got Cleese and Palin in, so that can't be bad
I see there's a new Tv series out as well.

I've always loved it.
The new series is okay, quite different but just got cancelled.

Great film! BUT you won't find it on the BCG data base as Aaron and Mark do not define it as a comedy film (!?!), which I discovered when I tried to set a question for it on the BCG quiz........................🤔

For me it's definitely a comedy, and one of Terry Gilliam's funniest films. Obviously it's also fantasy and adventure, with some dark bits, but the comedy style is one of the things that makes it so unique.

Music by George Harrison, who reworked the theme for the Gone Troppo album. Also has David Rappaport, who did the only bit in The Young Ones that I dislike (Hell in Boring). Does not feature Melanie C.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st September 2024, 8:10 AM

For me it's definitely a comedy, and one of Terry Gilliam's funniest films. Obviously it's also fantasy and adventure, with some dark bits, but the comedy style is one of the things that makes it so unique.

Without doubt a very funny film - how can it not be with that cast!!

AND both the IMDb and the BFI list it as a fantasy comedy - I should get a campaign and petition going to right this "wrong" on the BCG database.

Will you give your support and sign? 😏

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st September 2024, 8:46 AM

Without doubt a very funny film - how can it not be with that cast!!

AND both the IMDb and the BFI list it as a fantasy comedy - I should get a campaign and petition going to right this "wrong" on the BCG database.

Will you give your support and sign? 😏

I'll sign in spirit. ;)

Do Gilliam's other films get listed?

Quote: chipolata @ 21st September 2024, 12:03 PM

I'll sign in spirit. ;)

Do Gilliam's other films get listed?

Not all of his films are comedies. Twelve Monkeys isn't.
But Time Bandits definitely is a comedy. 100%.
I'm not sure terribly sure they've seen it?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 21st September 2024, 1:11 PM

Not all of his films are comedies. Twelve Monkeys isn't.
But Time Bandits definitely is a comedy. 100%.
I'm not sure terribly sure they've seen it?

I know they're not all comedies, but ones like Jabberwocky and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen are. Brazil is also funny yet does have one of the bleakest endings ever. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is also a black comedy.

And surprisingly, or maybe not.........................! Only two listed :

Might they not be British films, technically? Who knows.

Anyone watched the TV version yet?
Not renewed by Apple for a 2nd Season - not sure whether that's a comment on the quality or the budget!

Quote: zooo @ 21st September 2024, 4:10 PM

Might they not be British films, technically? Who knows.

Oh I think it is a British film, what with George Harrison's Handmade Films being the Production company, Country of origin United Kingdom and written by
Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam

Is Jabberwocky not on there
Surely that's a comedy as well

I've got that queued up next as my wife always liked the poem

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st September 2024, 5:55 PM

Anyone watched the TV version yet?
Not renewed by Apple for a 2nd Season - not sure whether that's a comment on the quality or the budget!

I watched it all.
Quite different from the film and I would say not really as good although it certainly has a charm all of its own. I doubt many people will bother much now though.