British Comedy Guide

Rising Damp Page 16

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th April 2021, 7:59 AM

There you go, I said something positive. That's that out of the way for another three decades.

"Myyyy God!"

Rossiter is so good he makes you slightly queasy and uncomfortable while also still rooting for him 100%

Yeah - one of the toughest things is making an unsympathetic character likeable. Awesome.

I'm just placemarking as I have been watching S1 Ep1 - the slightly stagey pilot and S1 Ep2. I'll read the whole thread now :)

Series 1 was decent enough , but it really takes off in Series 2 for me

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th August 2023, 9:43 PM

Series 1 was decent enough , but it really takes off in Series 2 for me

There are quite a few comedies like that. At least Yorkshire TV/ITV kept failth with their output and didn't cancel it though.

I love the show, maybe more than love, its by far the best show, funny, fast, witty, you need to listen good to understand the full extent of humour. Its also very warm comedy show, it has good feelings and deep down Rigsby know he can trust Phil, Alan and well Oh miss jones. If i could live in any time zone and any place, it would be with these people from Rising Damp, after all £6 for room, bargain.

yes and the champagne.....will the mayor sort out Rigsby paving slabs

It did interest me that the there was a whole series without Richard Beckinsale.
As when you are watching all the repeats you just kind of assume he's part of the furniture.
Checking IMDb the last series looks like it had more guest characters in to fill the gap a bit.

Quote: babydriver @ 30th July 2020, 10:52 AM

I love Rigsby but he's not around much these days. Philip is a straight actor now. Alan is doing well on QI.

I think you're a bit confused there or am I ?

Rossiter died some years ago and Alan (Davies?) was never in this.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 25th August 2024, 10:03 PM

It did interest me that the there was a whole series without Richard Beckinsale.
As when you are watching all the repeats you just kind of assume he's part of the furniture.
Checking IMDb the last series looks like it had more guest characters in to fill the gap a bit.

Yes series 4 was OK but definitely the weakest - and you definitely miss Beckinsale

More odd is that they made the movie - after his death

Don't know what they were thinking...

Liked the new 'comedy rewind' article about Rising Damp (by Chris Hallam) A few behind-the-scenes bits of trivia I didn't know.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy-rewind/rising-damp/

Quote: a plate @ 2nd September 2024, 1:32 AM

Liked the new 'comedy rewind' article about Rising Damp (by Chris Hallam) A few behind-the-scenes bits of trivia I didn't know.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy-rewind/rising-damp/

Thank you.

I second that, as I read it earlier this evening 😊

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd September 2024, 6:55 PM

Thank you.

Didn't realise you'd done that.
I thought it was excellent.
Good work, fella.