British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,838

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th August 2024, 2:48 PM

Guys, if you want to defend the rioters, you are at liberty to do so (you'll be in pretty poor company, but that's your lookout)
Just don't claim there weren't strong far-right elements attending and, more importantly, orchestrating them.

I'm not doing either, I'm pointing out that you and virtually every newscaster and media outlet are selectively using a demonized political label for one group of rioters while selecting not to use the converse label for other groups of diametrically opposed rioters. It's a tawdry mass abuse of political bias to blacken your political opposites. It's vile.

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th August 2024, 2:58 PM

"Concerned citizens" don't drag people out of cars shouting "Kill them! Kill them!".

No, but

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd August 2024, 1:13 PM

rioters; hooligans; thugs; criminals...

do.

And you don't at any point question their motivation - or the convictions behind them?

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th August 2024, 3:42 PM

And you don't at any point question their motivation - or the convictions behind them?

We're going round in circles now. I've already said that "almost certainly, they were hooligans, thugs, criminals long before they joined any particular organisation. Probably since adolescence. They probably joined an organisation that they thought it would provide an opportunity to continue with their hooliganism, thuggery and criminality. Not due to any political ideology".

In short "you are an habitual criminal who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner..."

So you're basing your argument on 'probably'?
OK.

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th August 2024, 4:19 PM

OK.

And "Porridge" ? 😳

He was running out of cogent arguments.

OK.

It took you two hours to come back with that? I was expecting it far sooner. Of course I can't read other people's minds and be certain of their intentions. I appreciate you can though. Even civil law has to rely on the balance of probability.

The final figures for arrests, injuries, crimes etc at the Notting Hill Carnival have been published and we can all now relax safe in the knowledge that it was either complete criminal carnage or relatively lawful and peaceful depending on how we interpret the statistics.
Or can we?
A Met police officer friend of of my sister's tells her the police were pressured to keep arrests to an absolute minimum and, if arrest was inevitable, they should if possible march the villain away from the carnival and arrest them at a location outside the carnival footprint so that the arrest would not officially have taken place at the carnival.
Crafty coppers!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th August 2024, 4:48 PM

It took you two hours to come back with that?

28 minutes, actually.
Sorry about that, I was working.

Quote: Julia Caesar @ 28th August 2024, 5:06 PM

The final figures for arrests, injuries, crimes etc at the Notting Hill Carnival have been published and we can all now relax safe in the knowledge that it was either complete criminal carnage or relatively lawful and peaceful depending on how we interpret the statistics.
Or can we?
A Met police officer friend of of my sister's tells her the police were pressured to keep arrests to an absolute minimum and, if arrest was inevitable, they should if possible march the villain away from the carnival and arrest them at a location outside the carnival footprint so that the arrest would not officially have taken place at the carnival.
Crafty coppers!

Apparently, per person , every year Glastonbury has much more trouble and arrests and violent incidents than Notting Hill - on average

Hardly ever gets mentioned in the news though

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th August 2024, 5:19 PM

28 minutes, actually.

2:36pm - 4:19pm. But we won't quibble.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th August 2024, 2:36 PM

My point is that, almost certainly, they were hooligans, thugs, criminals long before they joined any particular organisation. Probably since adolescence.

They probably joined an organisation that they thought it would provide an opportunity to continue with their hooliganism, thuggery and criminality. Not due to any political ideology. As far as I am aware, the committing of "sexual offences against children under the age of 13" is not a policy of the "far-right"

OK.

Is it like chess, and we now get timed on how long we take to respond to each other? Excellent.

Quote: chipolata @ 28th August 2024, 5:27 PM

Is it like chess, and we now get timed on how long we take to respond to each other? Excellent.

Except Billy quotes himself then times your response based on the the time he posted the original quote.
As I said - he'd run out of cogent arguments.

[Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th August 2024, 7:44 AM
............... worser.]

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2024, 10:27 AM

Oi! I've copyrighted that new word I invented, in my rewrite of Labour's old mantra of 🎶"Things can only get worser, and I'll tax you and you and you"🎵 Just got to get Brian Cox to agree to me re-release.

Shakespeare said "worser"! In the 15th Century! Not even you're that old to have invented the word before him! 😉